The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/27/2017 3:16 pm  #1

What are Your Favorite Fall Recipes?

I like the winter squashes that come into season.

A hearty onion soup also a favorite.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/27/2017 6:36 pm  #2

Re: What are Your Favorite Fall Recipes?

BAVARIAN POT ROAST
(Beef or Venison)

Line crock pot with about four apples (cut with one of those coring/cutting devices) and one small onion, sliced.

Trim fat from roast, insert about 3 whole cloves.  Rub about 1 tsp corn oil on roast, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp ground ginger and 1/8 tsp black pepper.   Push 3 or 4 whole cloves into roast.

Place roast on top of apples & onions.  Gently pour 1 cup of apple cider, apple brandy or apple juice (I've tried "turning" cider and juice, haven't tried schnapps or brandy yet), cook on low 10-12 hours.

Life is an Orthros.

10/27/2017 6:43 pm  #3

HARVEST STEW

1 Butternut or Acorn Squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cups Eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cups Zucchini, unpeeled, sliced (or frozen bag)
1 can (15 oz. size) Garbanzo Beans, rinsed and drained
1 package (10 oz. size) frozen Okra
1 cup onion, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped (or 1 can)
1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 can (8 oz. size) tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup raisins
6 cups cooked white

PREPARATION:
Layer the squash, eggplant, and zucchini in the slow cooker. Add the garbanzo beans and okra, then layer in the onion, tomato, and carrot.

Bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a small saucepan or in the microwave and pour the hot liquid over the layers of vegetables in the crock pot; cover. In a small bowl, blend together the tomato sauce with the cumin, turmeric, red pepper, cinnamon, paprika, garlic, and raisins. Pour the sauce over the top of the vegetables in the slow cooker. Set the slow cooker on low and cook the stew for 8 to 10 hours.

About an hour into the cooking, stir the contents of the slow cooker, making sure to bring the bottom ingredients to the top and disperse the sauce with the broth. Then, for the remainder of the cooking time, stir only occasionally.

To serve, pour the stew over a bed of steaming hot white rice and enjoy.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Harvest Stew serves/makes 6

Life is an Orthros.

10/28/2017 8:24 am  #4

Nice looking recipes. 
I'm thinking of making a stew this morning to have in the pot for after the Penn State Game.
Thanks

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/30/2017 7:14 am  #5

Old-Fashioned Beef Stew

MOLLY O'NEILL, NYT  YIELD 4 servings  TIME 2 hours 30 minutes 

This classic stick-to-your-ribs stew is the ideal project for a chilly weekend. Beef, onion, carrots, potatoes and red wine come together in cozy harmony. If you are feeding a crowd, good news: It doubles (or triples) beautifully.

INGREDIENTS
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 pound beef stewing meat, trimmed and cut into inch cubes
5 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 cup red wine
3 ½ cups beef broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
2 bay leaves
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
2 teaspoons salt

PREPARATION
Combine the flour and pepper in a bowl, add the beef and toss to coat well. Heat 3 teaspoons of the oil in a large pot. Add the beef a few pieces at a time; do not overcrowd. Cook, turning the pieces until beef is browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch; add more oil as needed between batches.

Remove the beef from the pot and add the vinegar and wine. Cook over medium-high heat, scraping the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits. Add the beef, beef broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a slow simmer.

Cover and cook, skimming broth from time to time, until the beef is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Add the onions and carrots and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add the potatoes and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes more. Add broth or water if the stew is dry. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle among 4 bowls and serve.

I like the bones of this recipe. But, I thought that it seemed quite bland from a seasonings standpoint.

So, I made the following modifications.
1. I browned the onions in oil before adding them to the soup along with the potatoes.

2. I added a tablespoon of tomato paste and a fair amount of paprika to the beef stock.

3. I still have some fresh parsley and rosemary growing on the porch, so I added some for the last 30 minutes.

The result was heavenly.

Last edited by Goose (10/30/2017 7:17 am)

Board footera