The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/25/2017 10:21 am  #11

Re: Poll: Majority says mainstream media publishes fake news

I also pointed out Fred might want to refer to a more respected political scientists when he tries to define what fascism is. - Brady

Ok, then offer information from those who might clarify how authoritarian regimes operate, and would counter some of Lawrence Britt's observations.  Also, who is the right-winger that tried to take over the USA in 2003?

Last edited by Just Fred (10/25/2017 10:23 am)

10/25/2017 10:29 am  #12

Brady, what are your issues with Dr. Britt's article about the characteristics of fascism?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/25/2017 4:08 pm  #13

Just Fred wrote:

I also pointed out Fred might want to refer to a more respected political scientists when he tries to define what fascism is. - Brady

Ok, then offer information from those who might clarify how authoritarian regimes operate, and would counter some of Lawrence Britt's observations.  Also, who is the right-winger that tried to take over the USA in 2003?

Fred,

First off, there is a difference between fascism and authoritarian.  Your original response was concentrated solely about fascism and Laurence Britt's elements of fascism.  As stated before, I don't believe these are elements of fascism as they point to many extreme political ideologies (such as totalitarianism, communism, theocracy and such)

I would suggest looking at the ten elements listed Emilio Gentile.  He is a professor at Sapienza University in Rome and is considered one of Italy's foremost cultural historians of fascist ideology.

This below article from John McNeill, professor at Georgetown University, lists 11 elements of fascism and his take on whether Trump measures up as a fascist (I agree with McNeill's analysis about Trump):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/10/21/how-fascist-is-donald-trump-theres-actually-a-formula-for-that/?utm_term=.ecd7c0b0a7be

You may also want to read several articles in Slate magazine where Robert Paxton was interviewed, as he is another scholar of fascism.  The articles detail his thoughs on Trump and fascism.

I never said a right winger tried to take over the USA in 2003.  I said Britt wrote the list of fascism items in 2003 to sell a book he wrote.  He wrote a fictional book in 2003 called "June 2004", in which a right-winger rose to power as a fascist.  His list of 14 items coincided with the upcoming release of the book.

Also, as an FYI he is NOT a Dr.  He does not have a doctoral degree nor is he a professor.  He never claimed he was, but people on the internet took the liberty to give him a degree (probably to make him sound more scholarly and knowledgeable)

https://www.snopes.com/holocaust-museum-warning-signs-fascism/

10/25/2017 5:26 pm  #14

Goose wrote:

Common Sense wrote:

People have good reason to view the media the way they do. We have seen time after time false stories being pushed. The media's outright attacks on President Trump have not helped them at all.

Poll: Majority says mainstream media publishes fake news

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/334897-poll-majority-says-mainstream-media-publishes-fake-news

Nearly two-thirds of Americans say the mainstream press is full of fake news, a sentiment that is held by a majority of voters across the ideological spectrum.According to data from the latest Harvard-Harris poll, which was provided exclusively to The Hill, 65 percent of voters believe there is a lot of fake news in the mainstream media.

By the way,,,,,,,,,
You failed to include this bit of data from the same poll.
Let's post it for the sake of intellectual honesty.

"However, the Harvard-Harris survey found that 60 percent of all voters believe Trump is treating the press unfairly. Only 48 percent said the media is treating Trump unfairly.

“Voters show concern about direct attacks on the media by the president even when they have questions about it,” Penn said."

That is what the link is for.  I can't take the time to spoon feed you. It's up to you to do your due diligence.

From the story : Nearly two-thirds of Americans say the mainstream press is full of fake news, a sentiment that is held by a majority of voters across the ideological spectrum. 

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

10/25/2017 5:36 pm  #15

Brady Bunch wrote:

Goose wrote:

Sorry Brady, the trumpers display many qualities of fascism

I didn't say Trump didn't display some fascist tendencies, he clearly does.

I just used the quote Fred provided that is supposed to show Trump is a fascist because of media control and argued that he doesn't control the media, either directly or indirectly.  I also pointed out Fred might want to refer to a more respected political scientists when he tries to define what fascism is.

From my prespective, when you say that Trump is being a fascist when there is no evidence of it, people will eventually tune you out and ignore you when you are accurately pointing out something that is fascist.  Think of the fable "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"

Brady nice try to explain the issue of the constant name calling that goes on everyday from the folks who despise President Trump. I think you are wasting your time. President Trump's win has completely shattered their world.
The constant labeling... President  Trump as Hitler or Hitler like, a Nazi or Nazi like,  Mussolini or Mussolini like
all of the foolishness. Each week there is a new issue that will bring President down and at the end of each week
the anti-Trump folks walk away disappointed once again. It will be a tough 7 years for them but they will get through it. You know how things go here! 

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

10/25/2017 5:52 pm  #16

Common Sense wrote:

Brady nice try to explain the issue of the constant name calling that goes on everyday from the folks who despise President Trump. I think you are wasting your time. President Trump's win has completely shattered their world.
The constant labeling... President  Trump as Hitler or Hitler like, a Nazi or Nazi like,  Mussolini or Mussolini like
all of the foolishness. Each week there is a new issue that will bring President down and at the end of each week
the anti-Trump folks walk away disappointed once again. It will be a tough 7 years for them but they will get through it. You know how things go here! 

Common, while many who despise Trump can't seem to think rationally about his actions, the very same thing can be said about Trump's actions and his supporters who blindly support him no matter he says or does.  I keep hoping at some point people will stop blindly defending "their side" and blindly attacking the "other side" and will actually start thinking for themselves and doing it in a rational manner.  Unfortunately both sides are showing the opposite tendency.

I don't think Trump stands a chance at winning re-election unless the Dems nominate another horrible candidate like Hillary

10/25/2017 6:06 pm  #17

Common Sense wrote:

Goose wrote:

Common Sense wrote:

People have good reason to view the media the way they do. We have seen time after time false stories being pushed. The media's outright attacks on President Trump have not helped them at all.

Poll: Majority says mainstream media publishes fake news

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/334897-poll-majority-says-mainstream-media-publishes-fake-news

Nearly two-thirds of Americans say the mainstream press is full of fake news, a sentiment that is held by a majority of voters across the ideological spectrum.According to data from the latest Harvard-Harris poll, which was provided exclusively to The Hill, 65 percent of voters believe there is a lot of fake news in the mainstream media.

By the way,,,,,,,,,
You failed to include this bit of data from the same poll.
Let's post it for the sake of intellectual honesty.

"However, the Harvard-Harris survey found that 60 percent of all voters believe Trump is treating the press unfairly. Only 48 percent said the media is treating Trump unfairly.

“Voters show concern about direct attacks on the media by the president even when they have questions about it,” Penn said."

That is what the link is for.  I can't take the time to spoon feed you. It's up to you to do your due diligence.

From the story : Nearly two-thirds of Americans say the mainstream press is full of fake news, a sentiment that is held by a majority of voters across the ideological spectrum. 

That is a very weak excuse for being intellectually dishonest.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/25/2017 6:12 pm  #18

The election is 3 years away. President Regan had a mid 30's polling in January 1983. And he won in a landslide.
Trump has out maneuvered the opposition time after time. And he will continue to do that.  

The anti-Trump forces started RESIST before he was sworn in office. They have set the stage. An environment that President Trump thrives in. 

10/25/2017 6:17 pm  #19

Common Sense wrote:

The election is 3 years away. President Regan had a mid 30's polling in January 1983. And he won in a landslide.
Trump has out maneuvered the opposition time after time. And he will continue to do that.  

The anti-Trump forces started RESIST before he was sworn in office. They have set the stage. An environment that President Trump thrives in. 

So, the poll you were gloating about is meaningless?
Is that your point?
Hilarious.

From the story:

10/25/2017 7:17 pm  #20

Brady nice try to explain the issue of the constant name calling that goes on everyday from the folks who despise President Trump. I think you are wasting your time. President Trump's win has completely shattered their world.  - Common

I'm not sure you get where I'm coming from, Common.  I don't hate or despise Donald Trump.  I simply don't think he's a good choice to lead a democratic nation.  He's never had to answer to a board of directors in his business life and he's trying to apply that same mindset to the position of a president of a country with a democratic nation of, by, and for the people.

I used to wonder and be dumbfounded how a nation of seemingly educated and intelligent people could go 'all in' and support an authoritarian leader.  I'm watching it happen at home in my lifetime.  It's not the authoritarian leader I fear most ........  it's their followers.

Board footera