The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/24/2017 11:19 am  #1

HB 1285 REFERENDUM CHOICE - PLEASE SHARE!

UPDATE 10-22-17

On November 7, Pennsylvanians will be requested to vote on a ballot question that will open the possibility of reducing or eliminating residential school property taxes through the state’s existing homestead exclusion program.  The current program, enacted in 1998, allows the exclusion from taxation of up to 50% of the median assessed value of owner-occupied homes in each taxing body. 

The proposed constitutional amendment on which you will be voting would allow, if passed, local taxing bodies to exclude from taxation an increased amount of UP TO 100% of the assessed value of owner occupied homes.  If approved, the amendment does NOTHING by itself and will have NO immediate effect but will simply allow the General Assembly at some future date to enact enabling legislation, the content of which is currently unknown, and supply a funding source for such legislation.

The exact language of the ballot question requires a “yes” or “no” response and will read as follows:

"Shall the Pennsylvania Constitution be amended to permit the General Assembly to enact legislation authorizing local taxing authorities to exclude from taxation up to 100 percent of the assessed value of each homestead property within a local taxing jurisdiction, rather than limit the exclusion to one-half of the median assessed value of all homestead property, which is the existing law?"

Since this has no immediate effect there is no hazard in voting "YES" for the measure.

The Harrisburg lawmakers who are working with us to enact true school property tax elimination through HB/SB 76 have warned us that the self-serving opponents of our legislation are eagerly anticipating the defeat of this amendment so they can claim that 100% elimination was offered and was rejected by the voters, and therefore no further consideration of HB/SB 76 is necessary.  Voting down this amendment will likely destroy our chances of school property tax elimination for the foreseeable future.

Because of this, the PTCC STRONGLY recommends that you vote "YES" on this amendment on November 7.  

If you desire, a more detailed explanation is available here: https://jmrodkey.wordpress.com/2017/09/23/understanding-hb1285/ 

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

10/24/2017 4:31 pm  #2

Re: HB 1285 REFERENDUM CHOICE - PLEASE SHARE!

I'm all for removing property taxes, but I'd like to see what form of taxation would replace the revenue needed to support the programs it currently supports.

10/24/2017 4:57 pm  #3

Just Fred wrote:

I'm all for removing property taxes, but I'd like to see what form of taxation would replace the revenue needed to support the programs it currently supports.

I think Pennsylvania should invoke a severance/extraction tax on shale oil and natural gas that is comparable to other states that have chosen to do so in their states. It did not chase the drilling operations out of those states and it was a huge increase in revenue to their state budgets.

Can you join me and write a letter to your state representative to tell them we need real revenue so that we can invest in our communities? Click here: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/pa-house-one-more-chance-for-a-tax-on-drillers-to-fund-the-state-budget-contact-your-rep-today-2?source=email&

10/24/2017 6:45 pm  #4

Can you join me and write a letter to your state representative to tell them we need real revenue so that we can invest in our communities?

Done.  Thank you.

10/24/2017 8:54 pm  #5

In regards to property tax for school funding, it is a tradition that has long outlived its purpose and usefulness.

Back when this form of taxation was created to pay for schools, it made sense since there was the vast majority of people didn't have a steady wage that was taxable nor were there "income taxes" owed to the federal government.  The only way to determine someone's ability to pay was to tax his "real property", which was where the wealth of most individuals was concentrated.  Since the economy has changed so drastically since this was first used to pay for education, it is time to get rid of real estate taxes and replace it with another source of funding that most accurately represents an individuals wealth and ability to pay.

Last edited by Brady Bunch (10/24/2017 8:55 pm)

10/24/2017 10:16 pm  #6

Common Sense wrote:

UPDATE 10-22-17

On November 7, Pennsylvanians will be requested to vote on a ballot question that will open the possibility of reducing or eliminating residential school property taxes through the state’s existing homestead exclusion program.  The current program, enacted in 1998, allows the exclusion from taxation of up to 50% of the median assessed value of owner-occupied homes in each taxing body. 

The proposed constitutional amendment on which you will be voting would allow, if passed, local taxing bodies to exclude from taxation an increased amount of UP TO 100% of the assessed value of owner occupied homes.  If approved, the amendment does NOTHING by itself and will have NO immediate effect but will simply allow the General Assembly at some future date to enact enabling legislation, the content of which is currently unknown, and supply a funding source for such legislation.

The exact language of the ballot question requires a “yes” or “no” response and will read as follows:

"Shall the Pennsylvania Constitution be amended to permit the General Assembly to enact legislation authorizing local taxing authorities to exclude from taxation up to 100 percent of the assessed value of each homestead property within a local taxing jurisdiction, rather than limit the exclusion to one-half of the median assessed value of all homestead property, which is the existing law?"

Since this has no immediate effect there is no hazard in voting "YES" for the measure.

The Harrisburg lawmakers who are working with us to enact true school property tax elimination through HB/SB 76 have warned us that the self-serving opponents of our legislation are eagerly anticipating the defeat of this amendment so they can claim that 100% elimination was offered and was rejected by the voters, and therefore no further consideration of HB/SB 76 is necessary.  Voting down this amendment will likely destroy our chances of school property tax elimination for the foreseeable future.

Because of this, the PTCC STRONGLY recommends that you vote "YES" on this amendment on November 7.  

If you desire, a more detailed explanation is available here: https://jmrodkey.wordpress.com/2017/09/23/understanding-hb1285/ 

How can one in good conscience say there is "no hazard in voting for this" and in the same article say that "enabling legislation, the content of which is currently unknown, and supply a funding source for such legislation".

There is certainly a hazard on voting on something that is unknown. 

Any voter should know EXACTLY what they are voting on in total. This represents a framework with currently unknown consequences. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

10/26/2017 10:48 am  #7

I'm voting against the elimination of property taxes because I do not want my school district to relinquish control of the priorities and spending to our very inept state legislature.

The Philly Inquirer makes a lot of good points in this editorial. But here is my biggest concern

Right now, the state has 503 elected school boards that set policy and control spending and taxes when it comes to local schools. Under this proposal, the local boards would lose that control.

In effect, the legislature will have sole power to set spending and taxes.

One proposal would set up a special fund to receive and dole out school subsidy money. But, this new method bakes in the inequities already evident in the school funding formula. It ends all attempts to give more aid to poor districts. The state’s unfair system of funding education will remain unfair.

Education funding is probably the most politicized issue in every gubernatorial and  state legislative election. Can you imagine how much that will be ramped up if the PA House and Senate gets to decide all 100% of educational dollars get spent?

If you are in the rural areas of the state and already think Philadelphia gets too much money from Harrisburg, just wait until all that sales tax money is in the hands of the same guys who can't pass a simple  annual budget on time.

I chose where I live specifically because of the school district. The taxes are reasonable and in my opinon, an investment in my community as a whole.

I encourage everyone to vote against this referendum.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

10/26/2017 11:02 am  #8

TheLagerLad wrote:

I'm voting against the elimination of property taxes because I do not want my school district to relinquish control of the priorities and spending to our very inept state legislature.

The Philly Inquirer makes a lot of good points in this editorial. But here is my biggest concern

Right now, the state has 503 elected school boards that set policy and control spending and taxes when it comes to local schools. Under this proposal, the local boards would lose that control.

In effect, the legislature will have sole power to set spending and taxes.

One proposal would set up a special fund to receive and dole out school subsidy money. But, this new method bakes in the inequities already evident in the school funding formula. It ends all attempts to give more aid to poor districts. The state’s unfair system of funding education will remain unfair.

Education funding is probably the most politicized issue in every gubernatorial and  state legislative election. Can you imagine how much that will be ramped up if the PA House and Senate gets to decide all 100% of educational dollars get spent?

If you are in the rural areas of the state and already think Philadelphia gets too much money from Harrisburg, just wait until all that sales tax money is in the hands of the same guys who can't pass a simple  annual budget on time.

I chose where I live specifically because of the school district. The taxes are reasonable and in my opinon, an investment in my community as a whole.

I encourage everyone to vote against this referendum.

I agree Lager. 

At the same time, I think it would be a good idea if they can find a way to unburden those that are on a fixed income (normally retirees) whose income falls below a certain level to give them even more of a break that any that they receive today. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

11/11/2017 4:55 pm  #9

Pa. property taxes: What's next after ballot question passed

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/pennsylvania/pa-property-tax-amendment-election-results-2017-20171109.html

The constitutional amendment on property taxes approved by Pennsylvania voters will have no immediate impact for homeowners — and it’s possible nothing will change at all.But one thing is certain: The results of Tuesday’s referendum will energize grassroots groups and some state lawmakers to redouble their efforts to overhaul or eliminate property taxes.“Anytime you amend the constitution to allow for something different it’s a big deal, and there’s certainly a lot of noise and a lot of local push for something on relief of property taxes,” said Gerry Cross, executive director of the nonpartisan Pennsylvania Economy League. “But the devil’s in the details. No one knows what the legislature will come up with, and that’s always been a chronic problem of trying to satisfy the different regions of the state.”

The amendment approved permits legislation that could exempt homeowners from paying property taxes. If it passed, taxing authorities — counties, school districts, and municipalities — could choose to exempt taxes for up to 100 percent of the assessed value for primary residences. Yet that is unlikely to happen unless other sources of revenue become available to replace property taxes, which are key to local and school government budgets.

Those sources could include higher income tax and sales tax, and would also require more legislation.State Sen. David Argall (R., Schuylkill), said Wednesday that he plans to hold a meeting with the grassroots groups that havelong been pushing for property tax elimination. Argall is the sponsor of a bill that would eliminate the school levy, which makes up the largest share of property tax bills. In exchange, his bill would raise sales and income taxes and offer a formula for distributing that money to school districts.His bill, which was voted down when Lt. Gov. Mike Stack broke a tie in the state Senate in 2015, was unrelated to this week’s ballot question. But Argall said he is hopeful that it will give him more options and more votes from fellow senators.

Grassroots supporters of property tax elimination will help him come up with new options to present to lawmakers, he said.  “We’re going to sit down with every single senator and say, ‘which of these can you support?'” Argall said. “And whichever option has the most votes, that’s the one that we will run on the floor.”Argall admitted he will have trouble gaining support from lawmakers in Southeastern Pennsylvania, where a majority of voters rejected the constitutional amendment. Statewide, the ballot question passed by a margin of nearly 140,000 votes. But in Philadelphia and its surrounding counties — Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery — voters rejected the measure by a margin of 94,000 votes.

READ AT THE LINK!

Last edited by Common Sense (11/11/2017 4:56 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

Board footera