The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2015 6:40 pm  #21

Re: Nick Pandelidis: Here's a better way to reform property taxes than Gov

The road went lower and lower and I've deleted a number of posts.

Stick to the topic of discussing the ideas presented in today's editorial or begin a new topic discussing the physical appearance of pundits and politicians.    Don't mix the two.

Life is an Orthros.

4/12/2015 6:43 pm  #22

Tarnation wrote:

The road went lower and lower and I've deleted a number of posts.

Stick to the topic of discussing the ideas presented in today's editorial or begin a new topic discussing the physical appearance of pundits and politicians.    Don't mix the two.

Very sorry to read that.
Let's choose the high road!

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/12/2015 7:04 pm  #23

Got it, Tarnation.

4/12/2015 7:59 pm  #24

florentine wrote:

It's the visual medium.  Some people are better suited to it than others.  It didn't just start, it's been that way for a long time..  Look at a suave,  poised, collected, handsome Kennedy and a sweaty, shifty-eyed, nervous Nixon.  Who came off better?

Hey, I get it. Brad Pitt selling toothpaste, or anything else, has an advantage over Goose selling it.
But, that doesn't make it right.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/13/2015 6:40 am  #25

I'm only jumping in to say that people can dispute the 10,000 sheriff sales number if they want, but let's not act like none of those sales are due to high property taxes please, because that would be false. I really don't care if only a third of them are due to property taxes, it's a third too many. You should lose your house because you can no longer pay for it, not the taxes on it that you pay over and over.

4/13/2015 6:48 am  #26

I don't like the idea of people losing their houses either. But, being a logician, I really want to know if it's 10,000 or 10.
The scope of any problem matters when trying to fashion a solution. That's just me

4/13/2015 6:53 am  #27

BYOB wrote:

I'm only jumping in to say that people can dispute the 10,000 sheriff sales number if they want, but let's not act like none of those sales are due to high property taxes please, because that would be false. I really don't care if only a third of them are due to property taxes, it's a third too many. You should lose your house because you can no longer pay for it, not the taxes on it that you pay over and over.

To be fair, I was the one who had brought up Krauthammer's looks to begin with in a previous topic a while ago. Even though I find Mr. Krauthammer to have an 'unusual' look, it has zero factor on how I feel about his politics. If Krauthammer was a super-liberal, I would still feel the same. I can retain my thinking abilities in the midst of visuals. It is interesting that conservatives are always complaining about the "PC police", yet choose to deploy it when it's useful to them.

4/13/2015 7:05 am  #28

Goose wrote:

I don't like the idea of people losing their houses either. But, being a logician, I really want to know if it's 10,000 or 10.
The scope of any problem matters when trying to fashion a solution. That's just me

That's fine with me, I like solid numbers too. They do matter. 
I know you don't care for anecdotal cases, but that's what data collects. So, knowing of more than a few cases personally, as well as almost being one of those data points myself - which I had to put my lawyer on the case and learned a lot from him about the situation going on with people including many he represented for the same purposes, I'm aware of many actual factual cases. Just because the data isn't being officially tracked, does not mean the data isn't there waiting to be collected. I really wish they would keep an official number, but I'm guessing that if they did, it wouldn't paint things in a very good light, so I'm not holding my breath for those official numbers.

4/13/2015 9:58 am  #29

Ok, how about some more specific details?  We eliminate property tax and replace the revenue with sales and income taxes.  The sales tax would be raised to __________________ and the state income tax would be increased to _____________.  ( Someone fill in the blanks for me).  Secondly, what about the things that are currently exempt from sales tax.  Food and clothing come to mind.

Does this plan offer answers to those questions?  I will admit that maybe I missed those specifics in Mr. Pandelidis's plan, so could someone bring me up to speed?

4/13/2015 2:46 pm  #30

Have other states gone down this path, and what were their experiences with it?
This is not a loaded question.
I am honestly curious.

Board footera