The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/13/2017 8:58 am  #1

Food Truck Owner Under Fire For Facebook Postings

The Facebook effect. Why do people write the things they do on Facebook?
And then wonder at the backlash they get.

“Carnist” Carnage: Pennsylvania Vegan

Food Truck Owner Under Fire For Facebook Postings After Las Vegas Massacre

https://jonathanturley.org/2017/10/09/carnist-carnage-pennsylvania-vegan-food-truck-owner-under-fire-for-facebook-postings-after-las-vegas-massacre/

The massacre in Las Vegas has brought out the best of our country in response to the savage and senseless attack by Stephen Paddock as strangers rush into danger to save the wounded.  It has also unleashed pent up political passions from Hillary Clinton immediately blaming the NRA (for opposing silencers) to aprofessor blaming the attack on Trumpism to “white privilege.”  Others sounded like the relished the deaths or at least refused to be sympathetic for the victims.  Now, a vegan food truck owner, Delinda Jensen, 60, in Wilkes-Barre, Pa, is under fire for a Facebook post saying that she doesn’t care how many people died because they are all “meat eaters” and “carnists.”  She later deleted the posting and apologized. 

Jensen runs the Mother Nature Vegan Cuisine Food Truck with her son.It is always astonishing to see people like the CBS senior counsel write incredibly hateful or cruel things in the wake of a massacre and then insist that the comments were completely unrepresentative of their views. 

Yet, these are comments made when a whole nation is in shock and mourning with dozens of grieving families.  Jensen took that time to post the following: “Yes I am jaded. Fifty nine meat eaters dead. How many animals will live because of this?” She followed up with a second posting reaffirming that she just doesn’t care about the mass murder of a bunch of “carnists.”

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

10/13/2017 8:59 am  #2

Re: Food Truck Owner Under Fire For Facebook Postings

Maybe people should go to their safe space

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/13/2017 9:08 am  #3

I have lost  all patience with people who get all worked up about athletes who take a knee, what silly people write on Facebook or what a teacher assigns,,,, then sneer about your 'safe space ' if you object to nazis

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/13/2017 11:43 am  #4

Unfortunately it is correct that incidents like these DO bring out irrational responses on both sides. 

I post to other political sites and found hateful and unfounded thoughts from BOTH sides. 

What IS lacking is a rational National discussion of how to stop such such incidents including whether things like bump stock items should be legal. Till we can have rational discussion on such things (IF it is still possible and I am not sure it is), we will see the rage on both sides. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

10/13/2017 7:36 pm  #5

It amazes me that people still do not realize that what they say on social media can really come back to haunt them.

With the level of discourse in this country, I am not hopeful for a rational discussion on any subject.  BOTH sides are getting further and further apart, and the hate, condescension and contempt they have for each other is ridiculous.  Every time an issue comes up, people just retreat to their positions and start arguing, nobody listens and tries to comprise.  We sit here and wonder why nothing gets done in Congress at the state and federal level, it is because the representatives reflect the populace.

10/14/2017 6:29 am  #6

Brady Bunch wrote:

It amazes me that people still do not realize that what they say on social media can really come back to haunt them.

With the level of discourse in this country, I am not hopeful for a rational discussion on any subject.  BOTH sides are getting further and further apart, and the hate, condescension and contempt they have for each other is ridiculous.  Every time an issue comes up, people just retreat to their positions and start arguing, nobody listens and tries to comprise.  We sit here and wonder why nothing gets done in Congress at the state and federal level, it is because the representatives reflect the populace.

It does seem as if every event that occurs is perceived by people as confirmation of their world view.
( I mean, when was the last time you witnessed anybody change their mind on anything political?)
Many fail to fully appreciate the event itself, it's human dimension, and focus solely on political themes.

Having said that, it's only fair to note that the gun "debate" has a pattern that is really quite odd, even by current standards. I mean, there is the generic crazy after every mass shooting; progressives thinking that background checks will solve everything. And gun supporters will fleetingly pretend that they care about mental health services. But, then you get to really bizarre stuff. Namely, the assertion that it is somehow Offensive (Bill O'Reilly used the word "disgusting") to even discuss guns after a mass shooting. Our current climate is pretty screwy, but no one would ever assert that the evening of 9/11/01 was not the time to talk about terrorism.

What a disheartening time.

Last edited by Goose (10/14/2017 6:31 am)

10/15/2017 8:08 am  #7

Here is another person who ruined their business thru the stupid use of social media.
This time from the other side of the political divide.

Arizona restaurant closes following backlash from its pro-Trump Facebook post

The post concluded with: “If you like this post, please share it with 5 friends and we look forward to your next visit! If you disagree with this post, please share it with 100 friends and we won’t be expecting you anytime soon!”

The restaurant’s post also mentioned the eatery would not broadcast NFL games until “the organization got it together.”

The post, which went viral, was met with widespread backlash and criticism, forcing the restaurant to delete it and all its social media accounts.

The restaurant received “so many angry phone calls” that several employees chose to quit, reports say.

"People threatened to burn down the restaurant with the owners in it. It's a crazy world we're in," Ron Sanchez, whose daughter worked at the eatery, told ABC15.

The restaurant apologized for the post but social media users flooded the eatery’s Yelp page with negative reviews.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/10/14/arizona-restaurant-closes-following-backlash-from-its-pro-trump-facebook-post.html

Two thoughts:

1. They received death threats. I condemn violence and the threat of violence in political discourse without reservation, no matter which side is doing it. PERIOD.

2. The business is in part closing because they lost a lot of customers, and were deluged by negative online reviews. I must point out that
THIS is something that they quite literally asked for.

“If you like this post, please share it with 5 friends and we look forward to your next visit! If you disagree with this post, please share it with 100 friends and we won’t be expecting you anytime soon!”

So, they told people that if they did not like their politics that they weren't welcome as customers AND that they should make a stink about it with a lot of people. And that is exactly what folks did. 

Somehow I don't seem them teaching this at Business school. 
Feel free to hold your political views, but taunting customers and potential customers is stupid beyond belief.

Last edited by Goose (10/15/2017 10:59 am)

Board footera