The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2015 1:37 pm  #1

Another Tax Question

Yesterday I tried to e-file my tax return.
Today I got an email stating that my return was rejected.

It read:
IND-510 - Spouse SSN in the Return must not be equal to the Primary SSN on another tax return.
IND-508 - Primary SSN in the Return must not be equal to the Spouse SSN on another tax return for which filing status is Married Filing Jointly or [filing status is Head of Household and the Spouse exemption is claimed].

Double checked the numbers, and all are correct. So, the only thing I can conclude is that someone, either accidentally or otherwise filed a tax return using my wife's SSN. Of course, there is no one to talk to at the IRS today.

Tomorrow I will mail a paper return, and that should solve one problem. 
But, should I be concerned about ID fraud?
Checked my online accounts and saw no signs of shenanigans.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/12/2015 2:09 pm  #2

Re: Another Tax Question

At least this way you will have your form in on time. 

The situation does not sound good unless someone who filed before you just made a mistake in filling in their or their spouses SS. 

Here is a decent document about Identiy theft and some numbers to call directly at the IRS (and elsewhere). 

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/Tips-for-Taxpayers,-Victims-about-Identity-Theft-and-Tax-Returns-2014

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera