The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2015 9:22 am  #1

As encryption spreads, U.S. grapples with clash between privacy, secur

As encryption spreads, U.S. grapples with clash between privacy, security

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/as-encryption-spreads-us-worries-about-access-to-data-for-investigations/2015/04/10/7c1c7518-d401-11e4-a62f-ee745911a4ff_story.html

National Security Agency Director Adm. Michael Rogers takes questions at the Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association's Cybersecurity Technology Summit on April 2. (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)By Ellen Nakashima and Barton Gellman April 10 For months, federal law enforcement agencies and industry have been deadlocked on a highly contentious issue: Should tech companies be obliged to guarantee government access to encrypted data on smartphones and other digital devices, and is that even possible without compromising the security of law-abiding customers?Recently, the head of the National Security Agency provided a rare hint of what some U.S. officials think might be a technical solution. Why not, suggested Adm. Michael S. Rogers, require technology companies to create a digital key that could open any smartphone or other locked device to obtain text messages or photos, but divide the key into pieces so that no one person or agency alone could decide to use it?“I don’t want a back door,” Rogers, the director of the nation’s top electronic spy agency, said during a speech at Princeton University, using a tech industry term for covert measures to bypass device security. “I want a front door. And I want the front door to have multiple locks. Big locks.”

Last edited by Common Sense (4/12/2015 9:23 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

Board footera