The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/19/2017 6:15 am  #1

On Monuments

http://leefamilyarchive.org/

The Lee Family Archive
General Lee receives an invitation from the Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association.
Here is General Lee's reply.

Lexington Va: 5 Aug 1869

Dear Sir:

Absence from Lexington has prevented my receiving until today your letter of the 26th Ulto: enclosing an invitation from the Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association, to attend a meeting of the officers engaged in that battle at Gettysburg, for the purpose of marking upon the ground by enduring memorials of granite the position & movements of the Armies on the field.

My engagements will not permit me to be present, & I believe if there I could not add anything material to the information existing on the subject. I think it wiser moreover not to keep open the sores of war, but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife & to commit to oblivion the feelings it engendered.

Very respy your obt Sevt
R E Lee

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/19/2017 7:12 am  #2

Re: On Monuments

Lee was smarter than his followers ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

8/19/2017 8:10 am  #3

The whole white nationalist movement was never about Lee, nor is it about the removal of the stinking monuments.

8/19/2017 8:26 am  #4

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera