The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/25/2017 7:03 am  #1

Dunkirk

[img]https://media.wired.com/photos/597648f648bf9d7991d52f16/master/w_670,c_limit/DunkirkTA.jpg[/img]

Goose review:
Very good. Not Great.

First of all, this is not a genre movie. Do not go into the theater expecting Saving Private Ryan.
Not a lot of dramatic or profound dialogue.
Cinematography is great. Special effects awesome. It is historically accurate, and it captures the confusion felt by the common soldier.

If I were to offer a criticism, I think that the movie falls a little short on basic story telling. I'm an amateur historian, and the Dunkirk evacuation is a familiar story to me. But, I wonder if other movie goers will leave the theater without a full understanding of the significance of this event.

Another weakness of "Dunkirk" is that it does not quite capture the scale of the civilian rescue effort, because it was that effort that saved the stranded soldiers. While we see a few civilian ships, and while the movie focuses on the particular courage of one father-son-friend civilian boat, it does not show the scale of the armada of civilian ships that crossed the English Channel to save their fellow citizens. 
THAT is a story for the ages.

Last edited by Goose (7/25/2017 7:06 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera