The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/08/2015 6:04 pm  #1

Will this one-armed robot put you out of a job?

Interesting question ?  

Will technology rescue us or enslave us ? 

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/07/technology/sawyer-robot-manufacturing-revolution/index.html

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/08/2015 6:31 pm  #2

Re: Will this one-armed robot put you out of a job?

I say both, because we obviously aren't discretionary in the least about where to use and not use robots. Robots are good when used for something that would harm a person, and potentially bad when used for day to day tasks that used to be done by people. (Luckily, my jobs require two arms, so I'm safe for now.)

In the meantime,...........keep an eye out for Skynet. 

Last edited by BYOB (4/08/2015 6:45 pm)

4/08/2015 6:51 pm  #3

BYOB wrote:

I say both, because we obviously aren't discretionary in the least about where to use and not use robots. Robots are good when used for something that would harm a person, and potentially bad when used for day to day tasks that used to be done by people. (Luckily, my jobs require two arms, so I'm safe for now.)

Just as a note, this also has WORLDWIDE IMPLICATIONS. We currently generally think that all manufacturing jobs can be outsourced to China (or pick your country), but these very techologies will have the potential to put all those people out of work as well. 

It is certainly something to think about when young people are preparing for their career of choice. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/08/2015 6:59 pm  #4

tennyson wrote:

BYOB wrote:

Just as a note, this also has WORLDWIDE IMPLICATIONS. We currently generally think that all manufacturing jobs can be outsourced to China (or pick your country), but these very techologies will have the potential to put all those people out of work as well. 

It is certainly something to think about when young people are preparing for their career of choice. 

Very good point about the worldwide implications.

Board footera