The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2015 5:09 pm  #1

Maine governor vetoes bill ensuring fair pint of beer

Maine governor vetoes bill ensuring fair pint of beer
http://www.ydr.com/nation-world/ci_27859793/maine-governor-vetoes-bill-ensuring-fair-pint-beer

AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) — Maine's governor has vetoed a bill that sought to ensure that any pint of beer sold in the state would be 16 ounces.Supporters of Democratic Sen. John Patrick's measure contend that some establishments use shorter glasses for beers they advertise as pints. Patrick says Mainers should get what they're paying for.But Republican Gov. Paul LePage said in his veto message on Monday that the state already has laws protecting against deceptive trade practices and this bill would create additional financial and regulatory burdens on businesses.

Last edited by Common Sense (4/06/2015 5:09 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

4/06/2015 5:19 pm  #2

Re: Maine governor vetoes bill ensuring fair pint of beer

The legislation may not be needed but I was wondering just exactly what the "additional financial and regulatory burdens were". Somehow I guess there were no specifics provided. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/08/2015 10:49 am  #3

I'm guessing the "additional financial burden" is having to actually give people what you're saying you are, which means you can't save money by skimping on beer. You could save a ton of money by giving people one less ounce. It's actually a common business practice. For example, I remember listening to the owner of an olive bottling company talk about his idea that if you remove just one olive from each jar, it wouldn't really affect the consumer, but it would save the company a lot of money. (To be fair though, I don't think he was suggesting that the same weight by volume labeled on the bottle remain the same.)

As far as the "regulatory burden", I don't see what that would be.

Also, Paul LePage is a weird man, so that just might explain it all.

4/08/2015 12:12 pm  #4

Sort of like the old butcher placing his thumb on the scale while weighting out the beef.

4/08/2015 1:11 pm  #5

Someone should ask Mr. LePage, "So if you order a pint of beer, what would be your expectation?"  Then let's carry that expectation to a gallon of gasoline, a ton of bricks, three yards of cloth, and so on.

.....this bill would create additional financial and regulatory burdens on businesses.

??????????????

4/09/2015 8:06 pm  #6

AKA the "cheater" pint glass. Same size, shape, and general appearance as an actual pint glass, but it only holds 14 oz. because the bottom is thicker. Might as well go after the companies that produce said glasses, because they surely know exactly why everyone buys them...

Board footera