The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/30/2017 5:06 am  #1

Trump Continues to Run for President

Donald Trump appears happier running for President than he is being President.
Trump went back to his script of revving up the base and saying to hell with those who disagree with him in a speech that some described as "Deeply disturbing".

The perpetual candidate also lied about crowd size.
Again

Trump says rally crowd broke records despite empty seats

President Trump claimed his 100-day rally in Pennsylvania on Saturday night broke attendance records, though journalists pointed out rows of empty seats at the expo center where the event was held.

Trump held his rally in Harrisburg, Pa., instead of attending the White House Correspondents’ Association (WHCA) dinner. He mocked media members attending the dinner as “trapped” at what he called a “very, very boring” event.

"They would love to be with us right here tonight," Trump said, adding his rally drew a “much larger crowd, and better people, too.”

Trump routinely brags about the size of crowds at his rallies and accuses the media of lying about the crowd size, including for his presidential inauguration in January. 

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/331255-trump-says-rally-crowd-broke-records-despite-empty-seats

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/30/2017 6:32 am  #2

Re: Trump Continues to Run for President

The DIVIDER in Chief ! 

Trump cares more about playing to his base and his ego than uniting a divided country. 

David Gergen said after listening to his entire Harrisburg speech - "This was the most divisive speech I have ever heard from a sitting American president, Others may disagree about that. He played to his base and he treated his other listeners, the rest of the people who have been disturbed about him or opposed him, he treated them basically as, 'I don't give a damn what you think because you're frankly like the enemy.' I thought it was a deeply disturbing speech."

Last edited by tennyson (4/30/2017 6:33 am)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/30/2017 6:40 am  #3

Apparently the crowd erupted into a chant of Lock her up!.
They seem to be trapped in the election season time warp as well. 

I don't think these folks actually care what Trump does in office at all. All they care about is having Trump express disdain for the people that they hate.
Beating Clinton was important because it meant "winning", not because of any well-reasoned policy concerns.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/30/2017 7:16 am  #4

This behavior by the Candidate and the crowd is extremely strange.
I do not recall campaign rallies in April 2009 in which President Obama led the crowd in anti-McCain chants.
I do not recall Campaign rallies in April of 2001 in which President Bush beamed as the crowd chanted anti Gore slogans.

Both of these men realized that the election was over, and that there was serious work to be done by serious people.

These are not serious people. They are angry children who approach politics like a football game.
And, they have a guy willing to toss them red meat just as long as they will swallow it.

4/30/2017 7:40 am  #5

Narcissistic people need constant attention and acceptance.  They need to 'feel the love' to validate themselves.  I would expect more of these revival-type rallies throughout his presidency to take his mind off the fact that being president of the USA is alot harder than he thought it would be.

Last edited by Just Fred (4/30/2017 9:21 am)

4/30/2017 7:46 am  #6

I guess Trump and his most ardent supporters haven't come to the realization that their mantra "the election's over, and I won" goes both ways.

Get real Donald. It's time to dump the candidate persona and start acting like a president.

Board footera