The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2015 5:26 pm  #21

Re: Wal-Mart Fights Bid to Curb Gun Sales

Just Fred wrote:

If you want to have a say in what the company does, you need to get on the board of directors.  -  Man

........... or own a real big pile of their stock and threaten a couple of board members if they won't play nice with you.

Hey, money talks.  If you own a controlling interest in a company, of course you'll have a say.

3/30/2015 5:29 pm  #22

The Man wrote:

Rongone wrote:

The Man wrote:

If they want to sell guns and they do it legally and follow all regulations, why would you have a problem with it?

No problem here. Looking forward to proliferation of guns. I think everyone should have 3 or 4 for self protection. As an extreme prepper, I live in fear.

But this is totally off the topic of this string.

So your problem is with guns in general.  That's fine, that's your feelings, but why should any retailer be denied the ability to sell guns if they follow all the laws to do so? Guns aren't going anywhere, regardless of how you feel about it.  Wal Mart selling guns isn't a problem, they follow the rules in order to do so.  Criminals stealing guns and selling them illegally is the problem.

Calm down Man. I own a gun.
My previous post was done with tongue in cheek.

But I do own a gun . . . "Fer shootin' squirrels an' such"

3/30/2015 5:33 pm  #23

Rongone wrote:

The Man wrote:

Rongone wrote:

No problem here. Looking forward to proliferation of guns. I think everyone should have 3 or 4 for self protection. As an extreme prepper, I live in fear.

But this is totally off the topic of this string.

So your problem is with guns in general.  That's fine, that's your feelings, but why should any retailer be denied the ability to sell guns if they follow all the laws to do so? Guns aren't going anywhere, regardless of how you feel about it.  Wal Mart selling guns isn't a problem, they follow the rules in order to do so.  Criminals stealing guns and selling them illegally is the problem.

Calm down Man. I own a gun.
My previous post was done with tongue in cheek.

But I do own a gun . . . "Fer shootin' squirrels an' such"

I'm sorry, I wasn't riled, a little hard to read tone on the Internet sometimes.

I don't own any guns, never have, don't like them and don't need one.  But, I can't understand having a problem with any retailer selling guns legally.

3/31/2015 7:28 am  #24

The Man wrote:

BYOB wrote:

Wal-mart can kiss my a**. If you want to buy a gun, go to a local gun shop.

Why the problem with Wal Mart selling guns? I mean, I'm no Wal Mart fan, I don't shop there for many reasons, but if they want to sell guns, and they do it legally, why the problem with them selling guns? I wouldn't care if Rutters or Sheetz sells guns, as long as they do it legally and follow the same regulatory procedures as every other gun retailer.

I'm a small business owner, and have worked for small businesses, so it's just my personal opinion. I guess I'm just of the mind that it would be nice to keep small businesses in business so we're not all forced to shop at 1 or 2 stores for everything. Plus, there are a myriad of other ethical and economic reasons that I do not patronize Wal-Mart, but I'm not stopping anybody else from feeding the machine, just expressing how I feel about it.

3/31/2015 7:43 am  #25

I haven't been in a Walmart for over five years.
Support your local merchants!

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/31/2015 10:11 am  #26

1.3 million local people work at Wal Mart.
Don’t forget that fact! Many people make
their living working at Wal Mart!

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/31/2015 10:35 am  #27

Common Sense wrote:

1.3 million local people work at Wal Mart.
Don’t forget that fact! Many people make

I'm guessing a whole lot of those local people now working at Wal-Mart had local jobs before Wal-Mart came to town. When a huge entity moves in, it does put a fair amount of local small businesses out of business. Then those people have to find other work, like working at a Wal-Mart. Sometimes (not always), the entities help create the problem they swoop in to solve.

Anybody who wants to shop at Wal-Mart can. I just choose not to and voice the reasons why I don't.

3/31/2015 10:37 am  #28

Wheras I don't do a lot of shopping at a Walmart, I DO buy certain things there. What I hate most about Walmart are the crowds. Any shopping I do there I limit to hours when the crowd is not usually a problem. 

As long as I can remember there have been stores something similar to a Walmart. The biggest difference is just that --- BIGNESS  !  In my early days the same things were said about KMarts. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/31/2015 12:00 pm  #29

Many people make

That is true, but I'm thinking many of the workers have job apps spread around the area and would bolt if given the opportunity.  One of my friends works at Costco and he told me their HR department has stacks of job apps from people currently working at the Mart. 

However, all work is honorable, and I wouldn't put anyone down for doing the best they can at whatever they choose to do.  If I'm not mistaken, Wal-Mart has had some issues with treating their employees fairly with wages, overtime pay, benefits, etc.  Anyway, sorry about taking the thread off-topic.

3/31/2015 12:01 pm  #30

tennyson wrote:

Wheras I don't do a lot of shopping at a Walmart, I DO buy certain things there. What I hate most about Walmart are the crowds. Any shopping I do there I limit to hours when the crowd is not usually a problem. 

As long as I can remember there have been stores something similar to a Walmart. The biggest difference is just that --- BIGNESS  !  In my early days the same things were said about KMarts. 

Yeah.

The worst part about Walmart are all the Walmartians !

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com

Last edited by Rongone (3/31/2015 12:05 pm)

Board footera