The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/01/2017 6:06 am  #1

“Ninety-four million Americans are out of the labor force.”

From President Trump's address last night.

“Ninety-four million Americans are out of the labor force.”

This is an absurd Four-Pinocchio claim, based on a real number. The Bureau of Labor Statistics, relying on a monthly survey known as the Current Population Survey (CPS), shows that, as of January 2016, 94.4 million Americans 16 years and older were “not in labor force.”

How is this number developed? Well, there is a civilian noninstitutional population of 254.1 million people, and 159.7 million are in the labor force. The difference yields the 94.4 million figure.

But the unemployment rate is only 4.8 percent because just 7.6 million people actively are looking for a job and cannot find one. They are considered part of the overall labor force. In other words, you have to be seeking a job to be counted in the labor force.

Who are the 94 million not in the labor force? The BLS has data for the year 2015. It turns out that 93 percent do not want a job at all. The picture that emerges from a study of the data shows that the 95 million consists mostly of people who are retired, students, stay-at-home parents or disabled.

Trump is doing a real disservice in citing this 94 million figure and suggesting it means these people are looking for work.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/01/2017 8:56 am  #2

Re: “Ninety-four million Americans are out of the labor force.”

I am part of the 94 Million and loving it ! 

Of course, depending on how some of these new things work our MAYBE I will HAVE TO GO BACK TO WORK ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/01/2017 9:03 am  #3

When I heard Trump say that last night, the look of disdain I gave my ten year old would have melted a wall.

I'm pulling her out of school today to sending her to WalMart to become a greeter.

We need to make America great again, for crissakes.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/01/2017 9:10 am  #4

TheLagerLad wrote:

When I heard Trump say that last night, the look of disdain I gave my ten year old would have melted a wall.

I'm pulling her out of school today to sending her to WalMart to become a greeter.

We need to make America great again, for crissakes.

It was like a Breitbart headline !  (probably where he got it)

That would make a 29+% unemployment rate. I guess some that don't pay attention to numbers really buy into these distortions. When numbers get thrown out like this and used in this manner it really is hard to believe ANYTHING that comes out to support their positions.

Last edited by tennyson (3/01/2017 9:14 am)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera