The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2017 6:45 pm  #1

Oscar Ratings Down Double Digits In Demo; 32.9M Viewership Hits 9-Year

Oscar Ratings Down Double Digits In Demo; 32.9M Viewership Hits 9-Year Low – Update

http://deadline.com/2017/02/oscars-ratings-2017-down-best-picture-mistake-jimmy-kimmel-abc-1202009034/

In that vein, the near final numbers for last night’s 89th Academy Awards are now in, and they are down from last year. Sunday night’s show drew 32.9 million viewers with a 9.1 rating among adults 18-49.

Hosted by Jimmy Kimmel for the first time, the 2017 Oscars are down 4% in viewership and 13% among adults 18-49 from what the 88th Academy Awards ended up snagging in its final numbers last year. Like the metered market numbers of early today, that equals a nine-year viewership low for AMPAS’ annual ceremony. In fact, the 2017 Oscars were the third-least-watched of the 21st century.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

2/27/2017 7:07 pm  #2

Re: Oscar Ratings Down Double Digits In Demo; 32.9M Viewership Hits 9-Year

Why should I care about oscar ratings?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/27/2017 7:11 pm  #3

One thing for darn sure, MORE PEOPLE likely saw the ending of the Oscars than watch the actual show ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/27/2017 9:16 pm  #4

Oscar Rating Hits 9-Year Low?

Gee, let me put that information into my "Give-a-Shit-o-Meter".  Nuts, it didn't register.  Right up there with Trump's inauguration ceremony.

2/28/2017 7:54 am  #5

After the embarrassing error at the Oscars, viewed by millions around the world, the accounting and consulting firm of Price, Waterhouse, Coopers is looking for a new slogan to help them recover from this faux pas. Here are some early favorites:

We're better at numbers

Everybody makes mistakes

We're not as bad as Arthur Andersen was

You can submit your suggestions here to be forwarded to PWC's website.

Last edited by Rongone (2/28/2017 7:55 am)

2/28/2017 7:59 am  #6

I'm not a big movie guy and didn't see any of the nominated best picture movies this year (although I heard really good things about Fences and will get around to it eventually.)

And my guess is that most people didn't see a lot of or any of the nominated movies.

That probably had a lot to do with the low ratings. 

The only reason I went out of my way to watch any of it was because I like Jimmy Kimmel and think he's funny. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

2/28/2017 8:11 am  #7

Didn't watch it. Never do. I did see Jimmy's better jokes the next day on the Telly.
The only nominated pictures that I have seen are Hidden Figures, Arrival, and Hacksaw Ridge.
Hidden Figures was excellent.
Arrival and Hacksaw ridge were not very good at all.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/28/2017 8:24 am  #8

Rongone wrote:

After the embarrassing error at the Oscars, viewed by millions around the world, the accounting and consulting firm of Price, Waterhouse, Coopers is looking for a new slogan to help them recover from this faux pas. Here are some early favorites:

We're better at numbers

Everybody makes mistakes

We're not as bad as Arthur Andersen was

You can submit your suggestions here to be forwarded to PWC's website.

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera