The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2015 8:25 am  #1

We need property tax reform now Speakers cheer on house, senate bills

We need property tax reform now Speakers cheer on house, senate bills 76
Read the full story:
http://www.tnonline.com/2015/mar/26/we-need-property-tax-reform-now-speakers-cheer-house-senate-bills-76

The time is now to eliminate property tax in Pennsylvania.

That was the message spread Wednesday night by several speakers, including three area lawmakers, in the Lehighton Borough Annex auditorium.More than 100 people turned out to hear the presentation, which featured the highlights and benefits of House Bill 76 and Senate Bill 76.The companion bills would eliminate school property taxes by increasing the state's personal income tax from 3.07 percent to 4.34 percent, increasing the state's sales and use tax from 6 percent to 7 percent, and expanding the sales tax base to cover more goods and services."There is no more important issue in my district," said Sen. David Argall, R-29."It seems like it's been talked about forever, but we've never been this close. In fact, after I got the invitation to come here, I got a call from Gov. Wolf. He wanted to talk to me about this very issue."Unlike Argall, however, who supports full property tax elimination, Wolf's budget proposal includes only a reduction.His plan raises $3.8 billion, approximately 34 percent of the current statewide school property tax bill, by increasing the state's personal income tax from 3.07 percent to 3.7 percent, raising the state's sales and use tax from 6 percent to 6.6 percent, and expanding the sales tax base to cover more goods and services."The problem with that is it doesn't cap or eliminate property taxes," said David Baldinger, of the Pennsylvania Taxpayer Cyber Coalition. "The taxes are going to go right back up again. The governor is suggesting essentially the same thing we are, but he doesn't want to go all the way and if he doesn't, we'll fight it tooth and nail."

Last edited by Common Sense (3/28/2015 8:25 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/28/2015 10:15 am  #2

Re: We need property tax reform now Speakers cheer on house, senate bills

So only 100 people turned out for the most important issue in the lawmakers district ??? 

Last edited by tennyson (3/29/2015 9:19 am)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/29/2015 6:53 am  #3

Re: We need property tax reform now Speakers cheer on house, senate bills

I'll agree with one thing Argall said, "It seems like it's been talked about forever."

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera