The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/03/2015 6:36 pm  #1

Any Craft Interests?

I make beads with polymer clay (among other things).  In the 90's I met a group of women online who were pioneers in the polymer clay world.  Many were author's or were on TV demonstrating their skills.   They were trying to give some legitimacy to polymer clay so it would be considered something other than a children's craft.   They developed their own complex techniques using this medium.  Back then everyone shared their knowledger and techniques.  I learned a lot from these women.  Now it would be hard to find free instructions.  Everyone charges for their tutorials.  I was very lucky to have been online at that time to meet them and learn from them.

Do you do any crafts, woodworking, textile work, etc.?

2/03/2015 7:04 pm  #2

Re: Any Craft Interests?

2/03/2015 7:05 pm  #3

2/03/2015 7:06 pm  #4

2/03/2015 7:09 pm  #5

WOW... I love those. I'm not at all good with detailed stuff like that - too many problems with my hands - but that makes me appreciate all the more when I see someone who can do it so well!

For my part, I'm into abstract painting and scrapbooking, mostly. Also collages!

You can see some of the collages here and some of the paintings here. Don't really have the scrapbook pages digitally, though I wish I did!

Joan
I'm just here for the party.

2/03/2015 8:28 pm  #6

Oh, Joan!  I am impressed with both your abstracts and your collages.   What medium do you use for your abstracts?  They look like they have such texture to them.

I like the collages because as a graphic designer in my early years I worked with type and liked it.  Have you ever taken a calligraphy class?   I have a feeling you have a real knack for it.  I like the way you design and combine all the type fonts and have them work together.

2/04/2015 2:51 am  #7

Beautiful arts and crafts -- Joan and Florentine. Arts and crafts are not for women only. Although I don't do as much as I used to, I do make Heritage Wreaths(pine cones, nuts, etc.), occasionally make hand dipped candles and rolled beeswax candles and homemade jeweled Christmas tree balls. I am not sure how to upload a photo, When I figure it out, I will try put a picture here. Thanks for sharing.

2/04/2015 8:04 am  #8

I used to tie my own fishing flies, which I suppose is a craft of sorts. Found it very relaxing.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/04/2015 2:37 pm  #9

Florentine, the abstracts are acrylic ink on a synthetic paper called Yupo. It's 100% water-resistant, and I use a lot of water with the inks (either the paper wet first, then droppered inks, or dropping the inks and then spraying with water)... alcohol and peroxide are good to make it move too.

But then the ink just keeps moving til it dries in place, on top of the paper, which is what gives it the cool texture. I sometimes add salt for more texture. And I use relief techniques a lot to

I used to do a good bit of calligraphy, but lost some of my touch for it when I started having arthritis-ish problems in my hands; I can still do it, but collage of OTHER people's fonts is so much easier. Though let's not talk about my scissor skills, which would make most kindergarteners disappointed.

Joan
I'm just here for the party.

2/04/2015 10:41 pm  #10

I'd say we have a few very "crafty" people on the Exchange.   My hobby is photography and it is for my pleasure. I do post on facebook and used to do the "100 in 100 days" at YorkArts.  One of my pictures hanging in the Yorktown Hotel sold which was nice.  I don't peddle my wares anywhere.  There used to be a frame shop up 83 a couple of miles where I could do my own framing using old frames bought at auction/sales.  It moved miles away up to rt. 11 and their closest store is down 83 on or around Pauline Dr.  I would overwhelm you with photos if I knew how to post them here.

Board footera