The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/25/2017 11:16 am  #1

Dow Hits 20000 for First Time

Dow Hits 20000 for First Time

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2017/01/25/dow-hits-20000-for-first-time/

Grab your hats.The Dow Jones Industrial Averagejust powered through the 20000 level for the first time ever, setting an all-time intraday high three trading days after the inauguration of [url=http://topics.wsj.com/person/T/donald,-trump/159]Donald Trump[/url]. Moments after the open, the Dow shot up to 20033.77.

The new record comes as stocks have been on the rise for much of the past three months, finding fresh legs since Election Day to add to one of the longest bull-market runs in U.S. history. The Dow industrials closed under 18000 as recently as Nov. 4, but have risen 12% since then.

20,072.60Real-Time QuoteAs of 11:12am ET +159.89 / +0.80%

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

1/25/2017 11:39 am  #2

Re: Dow Hits 20000 for First Time

So Common, are you implying that the rise in the DJIA is solely due to the election of Donald Trump?

1/25/2017 11:39 am  #3

I know everyone is going to want to politicize this, but I think an accurate assessment to look at it this way.....

1) Former President Obama, along with the Federal Reserve and his administration stabilized the economy through a combination of deficit spending and continued low interest rates.

2) President Trump has extended the bull market based in the idea of lower taxes, less regulation, and the promise of new American jobs. These are all still promises and ideas and no one knows what will end up happening.

3) However, the primary success of the American economy can be contributed to the American worker, and American innovation.

The stock market won't stay above 20,000 forever. But it is a good mark to have hit and let's hope we can keep the momentum going. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/25/2017 11:43 am  #4

Let's hope it keeps going, BUT to do that we have to have policies that help and are consistent. 

Not sure we are on track for that last part, but WAYYY too early to tell. IF some of Trump's plans on import taxes and spending/tax decreases without matching income come to pass we actually could find a bad reversal of current gains. 

I DO root for a good economy because it benefits all of us. I know over the past 8 years I have seen my investments in the market do very well and I would hope we can keep that going in the same direction. 

Last edited by tennyson (1/25/2017 11:45 am)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

1/25/2017 12:00 pm  #5

Also add (reminded by Lagers post) that the upcoming likely battle between Trump who believes the US Dollar is too strong and the Fed (Yellen) could also have a big impact on ALL of us not only via the markets but how the cost of goods and services could possibly dramatically increase. 

Many don't remember the days when US bonds were paying over 10% interest. Sounds good BUT it was accompanied by inflation of equal or greater amounts that totally chipped away at people on fixed income. You can make good and bad arguments for the Fed, but they have done a good job at keeping inflation at bay 

Last edited by tennyson (1/25/2017 12:05 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

1/25/2017 12:00 pm  #6

tennyson wrote:

Let's hope it keeps going, BUT to do that we have to have policies that help and are consistent. 

I DO root for a good economy because it benefits all of us. I know over the past 8 years I have seen my investments in the market do very well and I would hope we can keep that going in the same direction. 

I would go a step further. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If I am Trump, and I want to keep the economy juiced, I don't touch one existing trade policy. Leave NAFTA alone. Leave trade policy with China alone. 

Ok, if you want to bail on TPP and alternatively do trade deals with individual countries, fine. I have no issue. But the biggest piece to keeping the markets going is stability. No wars, either trade, or military. Keep the ACA until there is a full and comprehensive replacement. Work with our allies to diminish the capabilities of ISIS. 

One major misstep by Trump all these profits go away.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/25/2017 12:10 pm  #7

The market does indeed love stability.
I think that they are also expecting a business tax cut retroactive to the first of the year.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/25/2017 12:10 pm  #8

TheLagerLad wrote:

tennyson wrote:

I would go a step further. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If I am Trump, and I want to keep the economy juiced, I don't touch one existing trade policy. Leave NAFTA alone. Leave trade policy with China alone. 

Ok, if you want to bail on TPP and alternatively do trade deals with individual countries, fine. I have no issue. But the biggest piece to keeping the markets going is stability. No wars, either trade, or military. Keep the ACA until there is a full and comprehensive replacement. Work with our allies to diminish the capabilities of ISIS. 

One major misstep by Trump all these profits go away.

China is already trying to promote its own trade deals especially since the TPP will fall apart without the US Congressional approval which is now assured dead. The Trump admin better on the stick fast to get in the ballgame as China already has a lead in that regards. 

When we look at the markets we have YET to see the impact of the Trump policies which certainly hold a lot of risk. For big players that can weather financial storms and scoop up things at the bottom of a cycle it may not matter but a lot of people in the middle could be hurt big time depending how this whole thing goes. 

Last edited by tennyson (1/25/2017 12:11 pm)

1/25/2017 1:02 pm  #9

The Trump team jumped all over the DJIA breaching 20,000:

‘The Trump Effect’: White House claims credit for DOW 20,000

On Wednesday morning, the Dow Jones Industrial Average broke 20,000 for the first time.

After trading just below this milestone — which is notable largely for its psychological significance — for about a month, a recent rally in stocks sent the blue chip index above 20,000 for the first time. The benchmark S&P 500 and tech-focused Nasdaq were also trading at new records on Wednesday.

And the White House is excited about it.

Following the Dow cracking 20,000, President Donald Trump simply tweeted, “Great!”

Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway was more explicit on Twitter, writing on Wednesday morning that the Dow cracking 20,000 was “The Trump Effect.”

Eric Trump, the President’s second-oldest son, also appeared to credit his father’s election win for the rally and said on Twitter, “Amazing… and he is just getting started!”

After the election of Donald Trump, the stock market enjoyed a sharp rally to new record highs as investors took Trump’s plans to cut taxes and increase infrastructure spending as positives for the US economy.

Trump has also continued his campaign theme of being antagonistic towards US trading partners since his election win, though markets have, to this point, seemed to largely discount any risk of a full-on trade war breaking out.

Of course, even with the recent rally in stock prices — both since the election and over the last couple days — Trump’s election has many investors on edge.

“Policy uncertainty was a topic of concern raised in every client meeting,” wrote Goldman Sachs strategist David Kostin in a note to clients this week.

“While we expect corporate tax reform legislation will be enacted in 2017, the magnitude of cuts and offsetting revenue proposals are unknown. Many tax reform ideas have been discussed in general terms but the administration has not yet endorsed any specific proposals.

“Investor confusion increases when a topic that appears to be gaining political momentum — such as border-adjusted tax reform — is suddenly discredited when the President dismisses the idea saying it is ‘too complicated.’”

And of course, there is nothing inherently meaningful about the Dow hitting 20,000 beyond it being a reflection of how much investors want to pay for a cut of future corporate profits.

As a psychological mile-marker, however, Dow 20,000 does matter. And the reaction from both Trump and other people in his camp prove this point.

The Dow is the people’s index and is the one you’re most likely to find quoted in non-financial news reports about the stock market.

This fact certainly rankles market participants who know the cap-weighting of the Dow is sort of nonsensical, or that the Wilshire 5000 is the real way to capture the total US stock market, but public perception matters.

I wonder if they'll take equal responsibility when it takes a dive?

1/25/2017 1:09 pm  #10

Rongone wrote:

I wonder if they'll take equal responsibility when it takes a dive?

That will be Obama's fault

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera