The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/27/2015 5:59 pm  #1

To Stop Iran’s Bomb, Bomb Iran

To Stop Iran’s Bomb, Bomb Iran

Read the full opinion here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/opinion/to-stop-irans-bomb-bomb-iran.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1

FOR years, experts worried that the Middle East would face an uncontrollable nuclear-arms race if Iran ever acquired weapons capability. Given the region’s political, religious and ethnic conflicts, the logic is straightforward.As in other nuclear proliferation cases like India, Pakistan and North Korea, America and the West were guilty of inattention when they should have been vigilant. But failing to act in the past is no excuse for making the same mistakes now. All presidents enter office facing the cumulative effects of their predecessors’ decisions. But each is responsible for what happens on his watch. President Obama’s approach on Iran has brought a bad situation to the brink of catastrophe.

Last edited by Common Sense (3/27/2015 5:59 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/27/2015 6:48 pm  #2

Re: To Stop Iran’s Bomb, Bomb Iran

john mccain bomb bomb bomb iran

http://youtu.be/o-zoPgv_nYg

Last edited by Rongone (3/27/2015 6:49 pm)

3/27/2015 6:58 pm  #3

Bomb people to keep them from getting bombs, give people guns so somebody won't take theirs or try to kill them with one. When does it ever end?  It's just violence, on top of more violence, on top of more violence.

3/27/2015 8:40 pm  #4

Bolton is full of bullshit ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/27/2015 8:47 pm  #5

If I dind't know who John Bolton was, and didn't know his history getting Iraq so wrong, I'd actually think that his article was reasonable. I do think that it is important that Iran not get a nuclear bomb and I do think Iran getting one would lead to other in the region arming themselves.

If it was as simple as disrupting Iran's nuke program b bombing a few key sites, then ok, I could get on board.

But that's what happenes when you lose credibility based on how wrong you were before.

Sorry John. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/28/2015 6:36 am  #6

Bolton has been warning that Iran is a year away from getting the bomb for the last twenty years.
He plays up the danger of inaction, and undersells the dangers of waging a war.

Iran's nuclear facilities are hidden, hardened, and scattered. Disrupting their nuclear program is not going to be as easy as pushing a few buttons. 

We need to reject the myth of easy, bloodless warfare. "Surgical strikes", "smart bombs" , "shock and awe", are a tantalizing fraud.
We will end up putting young men and women in harm's way.
War is cruelty. There is no refining it.

By the way, what has been the tract record of preemptive wars in that region? Anybody want to hold Iraq and Afghanistan up as resounding successes?
As Mr. Churchill once said: "No matter how beautiful the strategy, one should occasionally look at the results".

Finally, does anybody have any qualms about the morality of preemptive war?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera