The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/23/2017 12:26 pm  #1

Bumpy first 6 months for DOW ?

We are one day into the Trump administration and just listening to the financial guru's on the boob tube, the projections are all over the place. 

One thing that many agreed on is the ONLY way for Trump to cut corporate taxes is to put more import taxes on imported goods to at least partially offset the tax cuts for businesses. Will it work ?  Time will tell. One thing for sure get ready to pay MORE for goods (imported or not). Now if that increase in product costs is more than offset by increase in workers pay it might work out. That also will rear the ugly head of inflation. 

It is a tricky balance. Till the markets get their heads around this whole thing and its impact expect turbulance. 

IF the turbulance is too great and stocks tank, as in the past when people see their 401Ks fall too dramatically they pull back from purchases. 

Like I said, It's a tricky business. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

1/23/2017 12:29 pm  #2

Re: Bumpy first 6 months for DOW ?

In addition to the uncertainty our new POTUS brings to the economic landscape, there's also the fact that with unemployment down and wages (slightly) up and growth (moderately) up, the fed is going to raise rates, and that will ding the equity markets. 

Me personally, unless I see some sort of global catastrpophic incident or unless Trump starts a trade war, I'm pretty bullish on stocks (the S&P 500) for the next 6-12 months. 

But yes, there will be bumps. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/23/2017 12:45 pm  #3

Re: Bumpy first 6 months for DOW ?

Some in the market are banking on a tax cut this year

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera