The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2017 7:49 am  #1

Drug Pricing 101

Thank goodness an executive of big pharma has finally indoctrinated the rest of us (including president elect Trump) on how to lower drug prices. His formula is really, really simple: you have to raise drug prices in order to lower them.

It was clear as mud, but it covered de groun'

Pfizer CEO Ian Read has an unusual solution for problem of high drug prices.

"We need to pay more for medicine so we can develop more good medicine, so we can drive, through competition, lower costs," Read said Tuesday at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

This raise-prices-so-we-can-lower-prices concept was Read's response to a question about how the drug industry should react to President-elect Donald Trump's promise to "bring down drug prices." He told Time magazine in December, "I don't like what's happened with drug prices."

He doubled down on those statements telling the Washington Post that lower drug costs were going to be central to his plans for lowering health-care costs in the U.S. and overhaul the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare.

But what Trump and others don't get, Read said, is that good drugs cost a lot of money to make.

"The pill is not the point," he said. It's just a "delivery mechanism for knowledge" to cure a disease or sickness. The pill is the end point of a long process of research and development, and those things cost money.

Read remains optimistic about the incoming administration and noted Trump hasn't been briefed as much as he will about competition in the drug industry. "Trump is going to be someone that will make sure patients are OK."

Read's strategy is somewhat bold. Instead of acquiescing to Trump, he seems to be preparing for a bit of a fight over his company's pricing strategy.

Maybe the next time he's in Davos, Switzerland, Mr. Read can explain to us why the same drug costs less in Canada than it does in the U.S. I'm sure his explanation will be just as simplistic as this one . . . He seems like a simpleton.

It's going to be an interesting 4 years.

Last edited by Rongone (1/18/2017 7:56 am)

1/18/2017 8:00 am  #2

Re: Drug Pricing 101

I feel like I am in this time of history part of the "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

1/18/2017 9:11 am  #3

Boy, that was a load of crap.  How about that high school chemistry club that made the same epipen drug for about 40 cents .................. you know, the same one that sells for a couple hundred bucks per tablet.

Last edited by Just Fred (1/18/2017 9:12 am)

1/18/2017 10:06 am  #4

Well, I understand half of his argument.
When a new product, whether a drug or a computer, is introduced to the market part of the pricing reflects an attempt to recoup R&D costs.

As to how this leads to lower costs, I don't follow.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/18/2017 10:39 am  #5

Why, though, when a drug is on the market for many years does the price increase drastically year after year?  How many times do the research and development costs have to be recouped to satisfy drug companies? 

1/20/2017 1:39 am  #6

sounds to me sorta kinda like when Pelosi said about obamacare that we have to pass the bill so we can see what's in it...

1/20/2017 6:43 am  #7

flowergirl wrote:

Why, though, when a drug is on the market for many years does the price increase drastically year after year?  How many times do the research and development costs have to be recouped to satisfy drug companies? 

You will have to ask big pharma about that.
Probably has something to do with the 'magic' of free markets and the need for zero regulations and such.
Good luck!

Last edited by Goose (1/20/2017 6:43 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/20/2017 9:56 am  #8

I think it has more to do with keeping stockholders happy than anything.

Board footera