The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/16/2017 12:37 pm  #11

Re: Divisional Playoff Weekend

And I am going to go with my heart.  -  rongone

Good call, my friend.  There are times in our lives when our heart points us in one direction and our brain points us in another.  When in doubt, follow your heart ............. words to live by.

P.S.  Born in Aliquippa and my first tastes of beer were Iron City and Stoney's, my heart will always be with the Steelers. 

Last edited by Just Fred (1/16/2017 2:01 pm)

1/16/2017 1:05 pm  #12

Just Fred wrote:

And I am going to go with my heart.  -  rongone

Good call, my friend.  There are times in our lives when our heart points us i one direction and our brain points us in another.  When in doubt, follow your heart ............. words to live by.

P.S.  Born in Aliquippa and my first tastes of beer were Iron City and Stoney's, my heart will always be with the Steelers. 

I think we covered this ground once before, but I'll reiterate: grew up in and out of Pittsburgh as my dad worked for AT&T and would get transferred. We lived in Bethel Park, Mt. Lebanon, and near Greentree. I graduated from Ligonier Valley High School (about 50 miles east of Pittsburgh). Iron City & Duquesne beer, but our real first choice in those days was Rolling Rock. When we lived in Ligonier, we rejoiced the day the Steelers moved their training camp to St. Vincent College. We spent many days watching them work out . . . Didn't cost you anything to watch the camp -- then and you could get real close to the players. Even took my grandson to training camp a couple of years ago. The whole family are Steelers fans. I remember going to games at Pitt Stadium or old Forbes Field when the only reason fans went to the games was to throw stuff at the players (like empty IC cans) when they came on and off the field . . . They were pretty lousy in those old days.

The Quips are still perennial contenders in WPIAL and PIAA football. Let's go Quips !

1/16/2017 2:14 pm  #13

Ha!  Don't want to turn this thread into a trip down memory lane, but I, too, went to Forbes Field with my dad (he worked for J&L Steel in those days and mom worked at Kaufman's Department Store) and got to see Bob Friend, Bill Mazaroski, Don Hoak, Elroy Face, Roberto Clemente, etc.  Dad used the GI Bill and graduated from Carnegie Tech, but like all of us, we respect the roots of our birth ............. now a Pittsburgh and Philly fan.  Carry on. 

P.S.  Looking back, Iron City was really the only beer sold in Aliquippa taprooms and I didn't know any better.

1/16/2017 2:30 pm  #14

Grew up in Lock Haven about 40 minutes from Beaver stadium. We were all crazy for Penn State, and drank Rolling Rock at a dump called the Rathskeller. Back in the day I don't think they carded anybody.

As for the pros, well the Steelers came from a place that had the letters P-I-T-T in it, so I had no choice but to cheer for the Baltimore Colts.

Last edited by TheLagerLad (1/16/2017 2:43 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/16/2017 2:36 pm  #15

I am a born and bred Philly guy and have had to spend my entire life watching those goobers on the other side of the state celebrate consistent success of their football team, winning Super Bowl after Super Bowl.

I've traveled a lot of this country and wherever I have gone, if I am watching a football game at a bar, or a hotel, or an airport, or wherever, without fail, you'll see a table full of Steelers fans wearing their stupid Kevin Greene jerseys, or stupid Jack Lambert jerseys, or stupid Jerome Bettis jerseys, or stupid Ben Roethlisberger jersey, and waving their stupid Terrible Towels. 

That's not to say I don't have a lot of respect for the Steelers. The Rooney family led the NFL, kicking and screaming, to racial equality. They've only had three coaches in the last 50 years. They've consistently been a successful, progressive, and loyal organization.

But I cannot root for them. Ever. 

Go Patriots.

Signed,

The Most Bitter Eagles Fan Ever

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/16/2017 2:48 pm  #16

Goose wrote:

Grew up in Lock Haven about 40 minutes from Beaver stadium. We were all crazy for Penn State, and drank Rolling Rock at a dump called the Rathskeller. Back in the day I don't think they carded anybody.

As for the pros, well the Steelers came from a place that had the letters P-I-T-T in it, so I had no choice but to cheer for the Baltimore Colts.

Goose - Accidentally edited this post rather than quote and respond.

Anyway, just wanted to note that the Rathskeller is awesome. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/16/2017 3:01 pm  #17

TheLagerLad wrote:

Goose wrote:

Goose - Accidentally edited this post rather than quote and respond.

Anyway, just wanted to note that the Rathskeller is awesome. 

Oh man,,,,,, glory days!
There would be some summer nights in '77-79, or so, when Matt Millen, or Bruce
Clark would show up near closing.
Tall tales, trash talk about Pitt. No offense, Ron.
(For the Yutes here,,,,Back in the day, when both schools were independents, Penn State-Pitt was a yearly game, a huge rivalry. It was THE game in the northeast. I mean, it was The Shit, granting eastern football supremacy bragging rights to the winner for a year)
Goood times.

Last edited by Goose (1/16/2017 3:23 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/16/2017 4:14 pm  #18

Well, the typical Steeler response to a bitter guy with a thing against the Steelers is: "how many yins got?"

I'm not an Iggles fan, but my youngest daughter lives in Philly, got her undergrad from Lehigh, masters from Drexel, and JD from Villanova, and she's still a Steelers fan. She goes to some Eagles home games with a friend whose company has one of those corporate boxes and has met some of the players . . . Like their long snapper that was on America's Got Talent, or a similar show, as a magician. As a matter of fact we've run into Ron Jaworski several times while at her place in Stone Harbor and I enjoy telling Steeler stories while he's around.

BTW, I have a couple Terrible Towels, Steeler sweatshirts, and ball cap that I especially like to wear around Ravens fans.

1/16/2017 6:40 pm  #19

HAHAHAHA!  I love this thread! 

Board footera