The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/09/2017 2:07 pm  #1

The iPhone's 10th birthday

10 years ago today, the iPhone was introduced to the world. I never owned one. When they were released, I owned a Blackberry and held onto that until my first Android Phone in 2010.

Give Steve Jobs credit. He changed the world with the iPhone. Consolidating devices, and creating a ecosystem where everything runs on apps, and making it all simple to use. 

Today marks exactly ten years since Steve Jobs famously stood on stage at MacWorld and introduced a revolutionary new product called “The iPhone.” The device was, at the time, billed as the perfect blend of the existing and wildly popular iPod, a mobile phone, and an internet communicator.

Jobs, in his signature denim, was clearly a legendary figure in the clip to the cheering audience who exclaims at each of his revelations. “Are you getting it?” he says to the cheering crowd.

“This is one device! This is not three devices!” he says to the disbelief of many in the crowd. “And we are calling it: iPhone. Today Apple is going to reinvent the phone.”

As a joke, Jobs revealed an iPod-looking device crossed with a rotary dial, before delving into the crux of his argument: existing “smart phones” as they were known (a primitive Blackberry, for instance) is often times too clunky or confusing for users to easily grasp. “What we want to do is make a leap frog product way smarter than any mobile device has ever been and super easy to use,” he says to more cheers. “So, we’re gonna reinvent the phone.”

To us in 2017, Jobs’s logic seem commonplace, but to a room of people in 2007 would could imagine the iPhone about as well as a Trump presidency, his ideals are enlightening; he chips away at the problems of the old way of doing things — the digital and disparate status quo — in favor of a reinvention. Oohs and aahs break out in the room when the first image of the new iPhone is finally displayed.

Then, there are laughably more fits of confusion when Jobs again jokes about his product: “We’re gonna use a stylus!” And when the Apple founder touts the incredible new “Multi Touch” technology that enables the iPhone’s capabilities, he ends its lengthy achievements with, “…and boy have we patented it!”

And to think, it only took nine-and-a-half years to sell one billion of them.

Last edited by TheLagerLad (1/09/2017 2:08 pm)

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/09/2017 3:08 pm  #2

Re: The iPhone's 10th birthday

An amazing man.
I think I've had an Iphone for about 6 years.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/09/2017 3:31 pm  #3

My wife and I have had TracFones for several years. I guess our kids got sick of us, or were embarrassed by the fact that we would pull out our flip phones to answer or make a call in their presence. So, this Christmas we each received iPhones from them and a bunch of accessories. Our grandkids enthusiastically uploaded or downloaded a bunch of stuff on the phones and gave us each a brief tutorial. We were instructed to put away our flip phones and start using the iPhones for phone calls, texts, taking pictures, listening to music (I was constantly made fun of when I pulled my iPod out of my backpack to listen to music on the beach), take pictures  (I always thought my iPad was good for that), and checking out the web. So, we're on the plan with our daughter and son-in-law's business account so we can't complain about the cost.

Between the phones and my wife's new car that has all the latest technology, like lane departure warning, wi-fi hotspot, navigation, voice recognition, an app for our iPhones to communicate with the car, more dials, buttons, and screens . . . just about everything but the nuclear launch codes . . . We're both in a laughable state of confusion. Luckily, we have the new phones to call or "iMessage" (see, I'm getting the hang of it) our kids to ask them what to do when we're stumped.

Thanks, Steve Jobs.

1/09/2017 8:33 pm  #4

I got my first iPhone in August of 2011, just hours before the VA earthquake which literally rocked York County.

I had driven to a parking lot near a cemetery (because there was a stronger cell signal than at home) and was exploring the device when the car began to rock.   I thought, at first, that it was a kid messing around, but there was no kid.   Then I thought it was the wind or a wndwake from truck, but there was no wind.  That's when I realized that it must be an earthquake.

"And if this is the start of the general Resurrection", I thought, "Ive got a front-row seat".

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera