The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2017 9:02 am  #11

Re: How About You go Ahead and Specify First

TheLagerLad wrote:

Tarnation wrote:

TheLagerLad wrote:

I think even the most anti-ACA person would still admit that there is some good in it.

OK, you know me pretty well, and I'm taking the bait!

Two good--correction--GREAT things:

1)  Eliminating "pre-existing condition" exclusions.

2)  Allowing adult children to be carried on parents' policies until age 26.

Two bad things:

1)  Absolutely no attempt at Tort reform.

2)  Absolutely no reining in or restricting of prescription drug advertising.

The bad things you list are minor, in my opinion, compared to the creation of three size fits all insurance plans now available that severely limits the personalization of health plans and jacks up costs on those who don't qualify for subsidies.

As for the good things, I agree but they are just pieces of a carefully constructed program. If you take away the individual mandate for example, you may not be able to keep "the good things" because it throws the actuarial tables the insurance companies use all out of whack.

Look, if the people have spoken and they are asking congress to get rid of the ACA, so be it. They have every right to do so. But what they can't do is say they are repealing the ACA and then say they'll get to some sort of new version of it down the road. They owe it to the people to lay out an end to end plan now.

Exactly.
How could you fund an insurance plan that did NOT allow restrictions for pre-existing conditions, while also NOT requiring people to get insurance?
You'd have people nearly literally signing up for insurance on  the ambulance ride to the hospital.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/03/2017 9:12 am  #12

Re: How About You go Ahead and Specify First

Goose wrote:

TheLagerLad wrote:

Tarnation wrote:

OK, you know me pretty well, and I'm taking the bait!

Two good--correction--GREAT things:

1)  Eliminating "pre-existing condition" exclusions.

2)  Allowing adult children to be carried on parents' policies until age 26.

Two bad things:

1)  Absolutely no attempt at Tort reform.

2)  Absolutely no reining in or restricting of prescription drug advertising.

The bad things you list are minor, in my opinion, compared to the creation of three size fits all insurance plans now available that severely limits the personalization of health plans and jacks up costs on those who don't qualify for subsidies.

As for the good things, I agree but they are just pieces of a carefully constructed program. If you take away the individual mandate for example, you may not be able to keep "the good things" because it throws the actuarial tables the insurance companies use all out of whack.

Look, if the people have spoken and they are asking congress to get rid of the ACA, so be it. They have every right to do so. But what they can't do is say they are repealing the ACA and then say they'll get to some sort of new version of it down the road. They owe it to the people to lay out an end to end plan now.

Exactly.
How could you fund an insurance plan that did NOT allow restrictions for pre-existing conditions, while also NOT requiring people to get insurance?
You'd have people nearly literally signing up for insurance on  the ambulance ride to the hospital.

Correct. So here is the problem for the Republicans.....

In their heart, they want to simply repeal the ACA and turn health insurance back over to a combination of the free market and government subsidies via tax breaks on Health Savings Accounts. 

The problem is that the ACA has helped a lot of people and those people are spread out across every congressional district in the country. 

So Republicans need to skate a very fine line because the optics of throwing poor people off of the insurance rolls isn't going to play well on the news. 

So Republicans, are you going to man up and give the base what it wants?

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

Board footera