The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2016 6:31 am  #1

Bubbly for New Years

Champagne vs Prosecco: The Real Differences

Q: What are the real differences between Champagne vs. Prosecco and why does one cost so much more than the other?

A: The quick answer is Champagne is from France and Prosecco is from Italy, but there are some other things to know about both wines –especially if you like bubbly wine.

Champagne

Champagne is a sparkling wine made in the Champagne region of France around the city of Reims about 80 miles (130 km) Northeast of Paris.

Made with Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier grapes
Produced using a costly method called the ‘Traditional Method’
A standard pour of Brut Champagne has ~128 Calories (12% ABV)
$40 for a good entry-level Champagne

Prosecco

Prosecco is a sparkling wine made in the Veneto region of Italy around the city of Treviso about 15 miles (24 km) North of Venice.

Made with Prosecco (a.k.a. Glera) grapes
Produced using an affordable method called the ‘Tank Method’
A standard pour of Prosecco has ~121 Calories (11% ABV)
$12-14 for a good entry-level Prosecco
Champagne taste notes by Wine Folly
Citrus Fruits, White Peach, White Cherry, Almond, Toast

Champagne Taste Profile

Tasting Notes: Since Champagne is aged longer on the yeast particles (called lees), it will often have a cheese rind like flavor that in finer examples comes across as toasty or biscuity. Since the wines are aged in bottles under high pressure the bubble finesse is fine, persistent and sharp. Vintage-dated Champagnes often have almond-like flavors along with orange-zest and white cherry.

Food Pairing: Since most Champagne is intensely dry and has high acidity it works wonderfully as an aperitif matched with shellfish, raw bar, pickled vegetables and crispy fried appetizers. Sipping Champagne with potato chips may sound low-brow, but it’s an insanely good pairing

Prosecco Taste Profile

Tasting Notes: Prosecco tends to have more present fruit and flower aromas which are a product of the grape. Because the wines are aged in large tanks with less pressure Prosecco bubbles are lighter, frothy and spritzy with less persistence. Finer Prosecco wines often exhibit notes of tropical fruits, banana cream, hazelnut, vanilla and honeycomb.

Food Pairing: Prosecco leans more towards the sweeter end of the spectrum and because of this it’s an ideal match with cured meats and fruit-driven appetizers like prosciutto-wrapped melon and middle-weight Asian dishes such as Thai noodles and sushi.

Why Does Champagne Cost So Much More than Prosecco?

Technically speaking, Champagne is more expensive to make than Prosecco but one of the biggest factors in the big cost discrepancy is market demand. Because Champagne is perceived as a region for luxury wines it can command higher prices. On the other hand, we aren’t used to spending more than $20 for a bottle of Prosecco even though you can find exceptional Prosecco in the Conegliano Valdobbiadene DOCG and Colli Asolani DOCG regions.

Champagne is a cooler growing region than Prosecco and thus makes less fruity, minerally wines.

Last edited by Goose (12/30/2016 6:36 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/30/2016 6:52 am  #2

Re: Bubbly for New Years

Personally, I prefer prosecco. It is light, and much more drinkable than Champagne.
I also like the fact that you can get a great prosecco for about $15.
Comparable champagne might be about $40.

My favorite

If you prefer more champagne taste, consider these lower cost options.

Cava is a sparkling wine  from Spain, most of which is produced in Catalonia. It may be white (blanc) or rosé (rosat). It is produced by the same traditional  method champenoise used in France to make champagne. But, by EU law, it cannot be called champagne as it is not made in that region.. Since it doesn't have the pedigree of champagne, you can pick it up for a fraction of the cost. A good Cava sets you back about $16.

California. Yes California makes sparkling wine too. But you aren't going to save a lot of money.
Please, avoid the cheap stuff like Andre. I wouldn't water my plants with it.
Probably the best producer is Napa Valley's Domain Chandon. It was actually established by the French Champagne company Moet Chandon.
Their Brut reserve will set you back about $35. Other wines from Chandon, about $20-25.

Last edited by Goose (12/30/2016 6:57 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/30/2016 9:04 am  #3

I'm more of a Cold Duck guy.

One day, I'll try an actual champagne or Proscecco

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

12/30/2016 10:46 am  #4

Hey, I've got a giant bottle of the Mionetto prosecco myself.  Woooo Woooo! 

12/30/2016 10:33 pm  #5

give me some sparkling pink moscato and I'm a happy gal!

12/30/2016 11:00 pm  #6

A niece's husband who was from the Trieste region of Italy and a well-known Italian-American chef in the Palm Beach, Florida area died several years ago from throat cancer.  He never smoked a day in his life but drank a glass of prosecco every day.  The doctors blamed his throat cancer on that daily drink.

12/30/2016 11:02 pm  #7

Just some Dalmore, a "Glen" or Famous Grouse Smoky Dark will be enough to put 2016 behind me.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera