The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/15/2016 2:57 pm  #1

Facebook to start putting warning labels on 'fake news'

Facebook to start putting warning labels on 'fake news'

Facebook says it will start applying warning labels to some "fake news" stories that users share on the social network.
Articles that are known to be false -- seemingly published with the intent to trick people -- will be marked with what Facebook is calling a "flag."
Below the headline there will be a red label that says "disputed by 3rd Party Fact-Checkers."

Users will be able to click on a "learn why this is disputed" link to get more information.
Facebook will not be doing the fact-checking itself. CEO Mark Zuckerberg has repeatedly said that "we do not want to be arbiters of truth ourselves, but instead rely on our community and trusted third parties."

So those third parties will be fact-checking organization that have committed to the International Fact Checking Code of Principles, which was recently established by Poynter, a journalism organization.

Several dozen fact-checking organizations around the world have signed on the code of principles.
"We'll use the reports from our community, along with other signals, to send stories to these organizations," Facebook VP Adam Mosseri said in a blog post Thursday. "If the fact checking organizations identify a story as fake, it will get flagged as disputed and there will be a link to the corresponding article explaining why."

Facebook is making it clear that users will still be able to post whatever they want, no matter how bogus, on their own Facebook pages. But "you will see a warning that the story has been disputed as you share," Mosseri said.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/15/media/facebook-fake-news-warning-labels/index.html

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/15/2016 3:43 pm  #2

Re: Facebook to start putting warning labels on 'fake news'

Great, just great! A company censoring what news comes across the news feed. They can do that as a
company. I hope people will leave them. Facebook pretty much is s big waste of time!

The fact checking will be "fair" Oh I really believe that. 

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

12/15/2016 3:46 pm  #3

Common Sense wrote:

Great, just great! A company censoring what news comes across the news feed. They can do that as a
company. I hope people will leave them. Facebook pretty much is s big waste of time!

The fact checking will be "fair" Oh I really believe that. 

You really should read more than just the headline of an article.
Also, please consider consulting a dictionary as to the definition of "Censoring"

Last edited by Goose (12/15/2016 3:47 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/15/2016 4:04 pm  #4

I personally think this is a great idea.  It's about time someone takes a stand against the loony postings on the internet.  It is, after all, partially what got us a maniac for a president come January.  I like Facebook and aside from the Exchange it is the only social media on the internet I use, mostly to keep in touch with a few friends and my family. Social media are only as good and effective as users make it and for the right reasons.  What I see occasionally on some web pages is atrocious. 

12/15/2016 4:40 pm  #5

I agree, Flowergirl.
This poor woman that did some landscaping work for us told my wife this horrifying fake news story about how Hillary Clinton is involved in child sex trafficking. I'm not sure if anyone could reach her, but wouldn't it be great if, next to that fake news was a button saying, "Click to see why this is disputed".
That other poster's disdain for this boggles the mind.

Who would want a misinformed public?
The answer to that is troubling.

12/15/2016 5:49 pm  #6

I believe that verifiable "false news" needs not just be flagged, but removed along with the users if that is the primary ingredient of what is posted. 

It has become perfectly clear that people are not willing to take the time to verify many stories that come out. We all get duped from time to time, however, even if we try to do due diligence on stories we see and read. But, that said, many if not most don't even try to verify. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

12/15/2016 7:55 pm  #7

One has to be naïve to believe most of what they read on the internet--even on Facebook.  Especially on Facebook, if you "friend" only those with whom you are friendly, know personally or at least are aware of who, what and where about them usually you're okay.  I'm going crazy right now over Facebook postings that may or may not be true from unknown news organizations or quasi-news that I cannot find a way to stop.  I've gone into their websites hoping to find an "unsubscribe" and there never is one.  I just continue to delete, delete am now am tired of them.  Their news is often old news, is often non-news and usually suspect news.

12/16/2016 6:20 am  #8

Who could oppose this?
I mean, one would have to be prepared to argue, not just for ignorance, but for being willfully uninformed.

12/16/2016 10:31 am  #9

Am I correct that I read somewhere that some or all posters are paid so it's being done as an income producer?  If true how could it ever be completely stopped?

12/17/2016 9:20 am  #10

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-12-16/facebook-keep-the-fact-checkers-in-their-place

I think this is a good article that shares some of the concerns with Facebook doing this.

Board footera