The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2015 7:42 am  #1

Requiem for American Exceptionaism

R

Last edited by Goose (3/06/2016 7:22 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/22/2015 9:03 am  #2

Re: Requiem for American Exceptionaism

Somehow I don't see myself (or many others for that matter) wanting to leave the USA to be a permanant part of some "more exceptional" country.  Just sayin'  

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/22/2015 9:50 am  #3

BTW, Time magazine in the March 23, 2015 edition had an interesting counter to this very premise. 
The article is entitled "The American Century Isn't Over". A good read. 

http://time.com/3741856/the-american-century-isnt-over/

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/22/2015 11:26 am  #4

I am an Earthian first, so my way of thinking is that there is so much more that makes us the same than what makes us different. I am equally stressed about what happens to a person half way around the world, as what happens to the people I see every day. Land distance doesn't really factor into it for me. I am in no way more or less important than any other person on this planet.

3/22/2015 11:41 am  #5

Goose wrote:

tennyson wrote:

Somehow I don't see myself (or many others for that matter) wanting to leave the USA to be a permanant part of some "more exceptional" country.  Just sayin'  

I was born an American; I will live an American; I shall die an American.

Daniel Webster

But it doesn't mean that I believe that we are, as a birthright, better than other people.

Agreed. Nor should it. 

Have you ever wondered IF you were born in a different country or a different race just how you life would be different ?  It is an excellent thought provoking experiment. 

3/22/2015 11:50 am  #6

tennyson wrote:

Goose wrote:

tennyson wrote:

I was born an American; I will live an American; I shall die an American.

Daniel Webster

But it doesn't mean that I believe that we are, as a birthright, better than other people.

Agreed. Nor should it. 

Have you ever wondered IF you were born in a different country or a different race just how you life would be different ?  It is an excellent thought provoking experiment. 

Yes!  That's empathy. Something people lack quite a bit in my experiences. I agree that it is an excellent thought-provoking thing to do. 

Board footera