The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/15/2016 1:24 pm  #21

Re: Time to Jettison the Electoral Vote

I get what you're saying, Lager.  But, my concerns and objections are about the electoral college

Editors Note: I hesitate to write this because it's going to come off as an attack against Fred, and it's not meant to be that. This is more of a temporary temper-tantrum against Democrats and the Left complaining the electoral college post election.

I don't know. I think the concern about the  EC is directly tied to how badly one party is getting their a$$es kicked.

Let's have some real talk: Republicans own the House, the Senate, 31 out of 50 governor mansions, and control 32 state legislatures outright and control one state house in 5 others.

Go beyond that. All that republican electoral control flows down hill to political appointments, and judgeships. 

And these republicans who do win, particularly at the state level, start out as school board members, township or county commissioners or district attorneys.

Meaning that the rise of republicans didn't just occur, but has been happening for a decade or more.

And you mean to tell me the solution to lack of electoral victories  by progressive, liberal and Democrats is to end the electoral college so a Democrat can win the White House by a couple hundred thousand votes!!!!!!

We need to think beyond just a single political race. 

Let's just say the popular vote decided our President in 2016. Hillary wins. So <bleeping> what?! Two thirds of the federal government is against her. Two thirds of state government is against her. Half of the voters are against her.

What great things would have been accomplished under a Hillary presidency?

It does not make me happy to write any of this and please do not take it as an endorsement of Trump in any way, shape, or form.

The Democratic Party is at a low point in its history. And getting rid of the electoral college ain't a way to fix it. 

I think back to my time in York. The Democratic Party did not exist outside of York City. Why? Why did the Democrats cede Rural Pennsylvania and throw their entire lot into the urban areas? Why did the Democrats do that nationally? 

But, if you think I am wrong about keeping the electoral college, Donald Trump would agree with you.

From his 60 Minutes interview:

Lesley Stahl: Now, for months, you were running around saying that the system is rigged, the whole thing was rigged. You tweeted once that the Electoral College is a disaster for democracy.

Donald Trump: I do.

Lesley Stahl: So do you still think it’s rigged?

Donald Trump: Well, I think the electoral ca-- look, I won with the Electoral College.

Lesley Stahl: Exactly.But do you think--

Donald Trump: You know, it’s--

Lesley Stahl: --it’s rigged?

Donald Trump: Yeah, some of the election locations are. Some of the system is. I hated--

Lesley Stahl: Even though you won you’re saying that--

Donald Trump: I hated-- well, you know, I’m not going to change my mind just because I won. But I would rather see it where you went with simple votes. You know, you get 100 million votes and somebody else gets 90 million votes and you win. There’s a reason for doing this because it brings all the states into play. Electoral College and there’s something very good about that. But this is a different system. But I respect it. I do respect the system.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

11/15/2016 5:12 pm  #22

In 2012, Donald Trump spoke out against the electoral college system, too.

I believe the system itself was put in place to protect the slave states many years ago.  I think it came from James Madison.  I'll check it out.  Maybe someone else could, too.

Last edited by Just Fred (11/15/2016 5:13 pm)

11/15/2016 7:40 pm  #23

So many of our problems seem to have originated with kissing the ass if the slave states.

Just an observation

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera