The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/14/2016 11:27 am  #1

Is it Just Me?

Are NFL games longer than they used to be, or do they just seem longer?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

11/14/2016 12:25 pm  #2

Re: Is it Just Me?

No, they are longer. On average they are 3 hours and 7 minutes and that's despite them lessening the halftime from 20 minutes to 12 minutes.

That said, the length of the games don't bother me so long as they are entertaining.

And on that point, there were some exciting games yesterday. It'll be interesting to see if there was a spike in the ratings this past weekend.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

11/14/2016 1:47 pm  #3

I've been complaining about the length of all football games on tv.  Mostly because to soooo many commercials.  After awhile I get bored with them all , turn off the tv, and move on to something else.

11/14/2016 5:26 pm  #4

The length of the games don't bother me too much.  Of course we're dealing with several challenges resulting in replays, along with video replays during the last two minutes of each half as well as automatic touchdown reviews, not to mention timeouts.

Generally, I'm in the mood to kick back, flick on the tube, smack a couple of brewskis and spend 3 hours with a friend or two discussing what the Eagles should or shouldn't have done.  That stupid unsportsmanlike conduct penalty when that dough head hit that guy out-of-bounds near the end of the game yesterday touched off a 20 minute tirade in my man cave. 

11/16/2016 12:13 pm  #5

Ratings were up this past weekend:

Perhaps panic over the NFL’s evaporating television audience was premature. On the first post-election Sunday, the league’s ratings surged thanks to two marquee match ups. According to NBC, Seahawks-Patriots drew the network its biggest Week 10 Sunday Night Football audience in five years. Meanwhile in Fox’s late-afternoon window, the Cowboys’ 35-30 win over the Steelers was the NFL’s highest-rated individual game this year. However it’s indisputable that NFL viewership lagged over the season’s first half. Entering Week 9, industry experts peg total NFL consumption down about 14 percent.

I've always argued that the NFL doesn't get good until Thanksgiving. I think we're starting to see an uptick in quality of play beginning and that should provide for better games going forward.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

Board footera