The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/13/2016 9:15 am  #11

Re: Time to Jettison the Electoral Vote

One person, one vote. Each vote is weighted equally and the candidate that receives the most votes wins the election. That argument put forth that the electoral college system gives the Rhode Island voter somehow getting more importance assigned to their vote than someone in California due to the is bunk.

The main reason that the electoral college was initiated was due to the days when 3 or 4 strong candidates were running and they wanted to establish a threshold of votes required to be considered a mandate for election.

If you haven't noticed candidates do pander to and only pay frequent visits to certain states . . . You know -- the so-called 'battleground states' we hear about ad nauseum throughout the campaign. None of them spend a lot of time in Rhode Island or North Dakota. By the way, the two major parties drill down even further into nooks and crannies of the country and the marginal influential issues that will swing that 7 to 10% of the voters in their favor and possibly win the electoral college votes in a state.

One person, one vote. That's the way a representative republic democracy was designed. Why complicate the system with an electoral college standing between the electorate and the actual election?

Last edited by Rongone (11/13/2016 9:18 am)

11/13/2016 9:35 am  #12

Obviously there's more to say on this, but here's my initial thought.....

Our country is too big and too diverse and not designed to let a local or regional lockstep voting bloc dominate everyone else.

Also, the issue of popular vote going to one candidate and the electoral college to another is the exception to the rule in our history.

Our system of electing presidents is fine. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

11/13/2016 10:29 am  #13

TheLagerLad wrote:

Obviously there's more to say on this, but here's my initial thought.....

Our country is too big and too diverse and not designed to let a local or regional lockstep voting bloc dominate everyone else.

Also, the issue of popular vote going to one candidate and the electoral college to another is the exception to the rule in our history.

Our system of electing presidents is fine. 

Nothing to see here then?

Or, to put it another way, I think we've identified several problems with the system.
Hey, so what if twice in 16 years the person who won didn't win.
What possible consequences could it have? (Except maybe the biggest foreign policy disaster since Vietnam).

The electoral college was designed as a restraint to unfettered democracy.
Time for it to go, or for the votes to be allotted proportionally.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

11/13/2016 11:07 am  #14

The driver to this topic seems to be "MY person did not win". Wonder if it even would have come up IF Clinton won and Trump got the popular vote. My guess is NOT. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

11/13/2016 12:43 pm  #15

I think you are way off on that statement.
My opposition to the electoral college is longstanding.

AND I have not reviewed whether my idea of awarding votes proportionally would have changed the outcome of this last election.

Fred brought this up in the "issues only"  area and I have tried to respect that.
I don't think that Fred has tried to tie it to the last election either.

Sure, discussion of the EC come up at 4 year intervals. That's the only time we notice it. And when the popular vote and electoral vote come to different ends, isn't some questioning entirely appropriate?

Hey, you run  for dogcatcher, whoever gets the most votes wins. You run for Congress, whoever gets the most votes wins. you run for Senate, whoever gets the most votes wins.

You run for president?
well, we got this thing

Last edited by Goose (11/13/2016 1:02 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

11/13/2016 1:03 pm  #16

Goose wrote:

I think you are way off on that statement.
My opposition to the electoral college is longstanding.

AND I have not reviewed whether my idea of awarding votes proportionally would have changed the outcome of this last election.

Fred brought this up in the "issues only" area and I have tried to respect that.
I don't think that Fred has tried to tie it to the last election either.

It's naturally tied to this latest election because we had one of those situations where the popular vote and the electoral vote went different ways. 

I don't recall this being an issue in '04, '08, or '12 when Bush and Obama won both handily.

Again, this topic deserves more thought than I can give while getting ready to watch the Eagles. 

Go 'Birds!

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

11/13/2016 1:09 pm  #17

Support or opposition to the EC may come down to ones opinion of federalism.
Whether you see The United States,
Or These United States

11/13/2016 1:14 pm  #18

One other quick thought.....

Getting rid of the electoral college would require a constitutional amendment.

Since Democrats are pushing the elimination of the EC, they would need to control 2/3rds of state legislatures. 

They control may 15?

It's just not going to happen.

In reality, if you really wanted the EC to go away, you needed to hope for a Clinton EC win and a Trump popular vote win.

11/13/2016 2:13 pm  #19

To build on my previous post

The Democrats and their supporters need to figure out how to be a better party if they want to make real change in the country.

11/15/2016 7:38 am  #20

I get what you're saying, Lager.  But, my concerns and objections are about the electoral college.

How about this:  Pennsylvania adopts an electoral college system to elect a governor.  The state is divided into electoral college districts based on populations.  Let's suppose there are a total of 100 electoral college votes, meaning that a winner would need 51 votes to win an election.  Philadelphia has 20 electoral votes, Pittsburgh has 17, Scranton has 8, York has 2, Lancaster has 3, etc.

How would that work out?  Would that be better than electing a governor by popular vote?

Board footera