The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/13/2016 8:31 am  #1

Charlotte

My youngest daughter is interested in attending Davidson College, just north of Charlotte, NC.

Easy to Get to. We flew direct from Albany in about two hours.
Philly to Charlotte is about an hour.

The airport is very well maintained. I like that the rental car pick up area is right next to the terminal. No shuttle bus ride.

Davidson is a small college town with a lot of charm. It's about 25 miles north of Charlotte.
In Charlotte we stayed at the Center City Marriott, right in the heart of the business district. The hotel appears to have just had a major update. It is lovely.

Charlotte is a clean modern city. I think that you would call it the New South. It is a fast growing city with the nation's second largest banking center in the US. In November the weather is quite pleasant. We walked thru the historic 4th Ward.

Historic Fourth Ward
A mix of quaint and charming with urban and contemporary.
Fourth Ward is a thriving Uptown community with a mix of restored Victorian homes, luxury condos, urban apartments, parks and businesses

We had dinner at Alexander Michael's Tavern.
An interesting menu. Notable was the Crawfish Burrito.
My wife had blackened catfish.

I had the dish below. Never would have ordered it except that the waitress recommended it highly. Blackened chicken strips over rotini with a white wine cream sauce seasoned with Cajun spices. 
Sounded like it might be awful. But, in fact, the dish was delicious. One of the more unusual pasta dishes I've tasted.

My daughter loved Davidson. So, I have a feeling that I will learn more about this interesting city.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera