The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2016 8:08 am  #1

Dow posts best week since 2011 after Donald Trump election win

401k's just got a little bigger!
Dow posts best week since 2011 after Donald Trump election win

https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/11/facebook-suddenly-thinks-a-bunch-of-people-are-dead-dont-panic/

U.S. equities closed mostly higher on Friday, with the three major indexes posting their best weekly gains of the year on the back of a surprise Republican sweep."I think you're seeing a transition from a government that had its thumb on growth to a free economy," said Bruce Bittles, chief investment strategist at Baird. "We're now looking at an economy that can reach its full potential."The Dow Jones industrial average closed about 37 points higher, with Goldman Sachs contributing the most gains.

For the week, the Dow rose around 5.4 percent, marking its best weekly performance since December 2011. "The Republican sweep across Washington should pave the way for tax reform at both the individual and corporate level. America's largest multinational companies will almost assuredly have the opportunity to repatriate some of its foreign cash holdings for a modest penalty," said Jeremy Klein, chief market strategist at FBN Securities.The S&P 500 underperformed, falling 0.15 percent, with energy falling 1.68 percent to lead decliners. The index, however, ended the week about 3.8 percent higher, posting its highest weekly gain since 2013.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

11/12/2016 8:10 am  #2

Re: Dow posts best week since 2011 after Donald Trump election win

I doubt you will be able to retire based on a three day run in the Dow

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

11/12/2016 8:16 am  #3

"Trump has not taken one official act as the president of the United States yet, but that has not stopped " the trumpers from congratulating him on saving the stock market.
Wink

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

11/12/2016 8:53 am  #4

So, if we consider that the Dow Jones industrials were at 7949.09 when Obama took office and it is now over 18,000 should we call him and his administration the greatest in history for growth and economic expansion?

No, I doubt that you'll give him credit for that. Nor do I believe any president has that power over the markets. The real power in the markets are the mathematicians that develop the algorithms utilized by large brokerage firms designed to garner them large profits. The average investor with a 401k or IRA just rides the waves these massive trades create during trading sessions.

I suspect the Drumpf dynasty, many of whom are denizens of NYC, will follow the lead of the big financial institutions and the rest of us are in for a thrilling roller coaster ride.

11/12/2016 9:20 am  #5

I hope it works out for all of us who are heavily invested.  As far as economies go, here in the USA we actually have two.  There is one for the investors and there is one for the working and maybe middleclass people who live basically from one paycheck to another and don't have the surplus income to invest every month like we do.

Last edited by Just Fred (11/12/2016 9:20 am)

11/12/2016 10:32 am  #6

The REAL test will be next year depending on what happens to current trade deals, dodd-frank, etc. 

There are a LOT of things being proposed that could cause a lot of havoc with the markets. Too early to tell. I am taking the better safe than sorry approach at this point. 

For sure the Obama run has been VERY GOOD for all investors (that includes ALL with 401Ks that are tied to the markets - which is millions of Americans nowadays as most companies no longer have company paid for retirement plans. Most DO rely on 401Ks solely) 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

11/13/2016 1:50 pm  #7

A lot of credit goes to the Obama administration for immediately coming out, congratulating Trump, and assuring the nation that he was going to do everything he could to ensure stability throughout the transition. 

Markets love stability.

We should thank the President for ensuring the orderly transfer of power. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

Board footera