The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2015 11:21 am  #1

Tax Software

I'm once again using Turbotax because, well I guess I'm used to it, and it generally is a good application.

This year there has been great controversy because Turbotax has stripped some features from turbotax delux that have forced even people with relatively strightforward tax situations to upgrade to the more expensive Premier version.

What are you doing this year?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/31/2015 11:28 am  #2

Re: Tax Software

I'm using Taxslayer again.  My taxes are not very complicated and they always do a good job filing both State and Federal electronically.

Just an aside.  Did you know TurboTax can electronically transmit welfare applications?

Suprised me too but I've received two so far this year.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

1/31/2015 2:11 pm  #3

Meet the last of the Mohicans:  Paper filing as always.  
Getting the forms is more of pain every year.
They're trying to drive us to extinction.

Life is an Orthros.

2/02/2015 11:28 pm  #4

Both my state & federal are already filed.  State is done on PA's free online ezfile.  As for federal--problems.  Last year I filed federal for free with H & R Block, no problems.  Went back to Block this year and ran into multiple problems, including now having to pay. 
The "free" companies on irs.gov are free only if you are filing 1040EZ--you are not itemizing and I itemize.  Othwerwise, it's paying for the service. Block's software has so many glitches and their customer service is absolutely the worst.  I was left talking to ninnies!  Promised a return call in 24-48 hours!  Never came.  I ended up paying TaxACT $15.00 and had no problems, never had to ask for help.  There is still a pending charge on a credit card  from Block and if it goes thru I'll contest it with the cc company who I spoke to about it.  I came close to doing it the old way on paper forms but I've been doing my taxes on line since it first started years ago and I really didn't want to go back to that.  As for TurboTax--that's who I started out with years ago and continued with them online until they made too many changes in their software.  Frankly, I think the irs.gov for tax filiers has become a racket for these companies.

2/03/2015 8:44 am  #5

I'm going on 10 years using Turbo Tax and even though each year it gets more expensive, I kind of feel committed to using it because its the repository of all my previous year's taxes and even though I have paper copies of everything, I'm jut not sure it's worth it to switch to a new platform.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

2/03/2015 8:51 am  #6

TheLagerLad wrote:

I'm going on 10 years using Turbo Tax and even though each year it gets more expensive, I kind of feel committed to using it because its the repository of all my previous year's taxes and even though I have paper copies of everything, I'm jut not sure it's worth it to switch to a new platform.

That's about where I am as well.
Hey, there may be other products that are a little better, or a little cheaper.
But, when you have ten years invested in it, change just doesn't seem worth it.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera