The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2015 8:34 am  #1

Texas judge threatens Justice Department over Obama's immigration plan

Texas federal judge threatens Justice Department over Obama's immigration plan

Read the full story here:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-obama-immigration-20150319-story.html

An annoyed Judge Andrew Hanen confronts a Justice Department lawyer over assurances on immigration program

Excerpts from the article:

Hanen said Justice Department lawyers had assured him at a previous hearing that the administration had not begun implementing the deferred-action plan, designed to protect qualified immigrants from deportation for three years.
“Like the judge, the states thought nothing was happening,” Hanen said with exasperation. “Like an idiot, I believed that.”Deputy Asst. U.S. Atty. Gen. Kathleen R. Hartnett told the judge: “I would like to apologize for any confusion.” She added moments later: “We had no intent to withhold any of this material from the court.”
Hartnett said lawyers immediately notified the court when they realized “we may have inadvertently caused confusion.” Hanen corrected her, asking, “So you waited three weeks to tell me you were doing it?”Hanen asked Hartnett bluntly whether Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson or other senior officials could be trusted on the immigration plan.“I can trust what Secretary Johnson says … what President Obama says?” the judge asked.“Yes, your honor, of course,” Hartnett replied.

Last edited by Common Sense (3/20/2015 8:36 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

Board footera