The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/08/2016 2:54 pm  #1

Oven Fried Eggplant

Oven Fried Eggplant

[img]http://img.sndimg.com/food/image/upload/w_555,h_416,c_fit,fl_progressive,q_95/v1/img/recipes/30/35/21/picV8Uh2Z.jpg[/img]

INGREDIENTS 

2 medium eggplants (peeled)
2 egg whites (beaten)
3⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
1⁄4 teaspoon basil or 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
garlic salt or garlic powder

DIRECTIONS

Spray a baking sheet generously with cooking spray,.
Mix the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, basil, and garlic salt together.
Peel eggplant and slice about 1/4" thick.
Dip in beaten egg whites and then in the crumb mixture.
Put on baking sheet.
Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 12-15 minutes or till done.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

9/08/2016 2:59 pm  #2

Re: Oven Fried Eggplant

Yum!

9/24/2016 10:31 pm  #3

Had this for dinner tonight with a small side of linguine with chopped tomatoes and basil from my garden and a small veggie salad.  Even though I had a small eggplant there was enough leftover to cut into bite sizes to eat with fingers and to dip into a marina sauce and/or cheese.  I like  baking the eggplant in the oven in lieu of frying in grease stove top.  No greasy mess to clean up afterwards and fewer calories to consume!

9/25/2016 6:24 am  #4

Had these Friday night and Saturday morning.

http://www.kitchenofpalestine.com/makdous/

Ingredients

2 kilos baby eggplants
    2 cups walnuts, crushed
    1 medium head of garlic, crushed
    1 tablespoon spicy red-chili flakes or powder or paste
    Salt
    Lots of Olive Oil

Directions:

Wash the eggplants thoroughly and cut off their stems using a sharp knife, keeping the base of stems as in the picture. (this cutting style is preferable but not necessary, it will keep and hold the shape of eggplants after cooking and pickling).

Put the eggplants in a large pot and add water to cover them, bring them to a boil. after boiling, leave them for 10 to 15 minutes and make sure to cover them and flip them from time to time. It's very important to know when to stop cooking; they should be a little bit soft but not very tender.Place the eggplants in a colander to drain.

For stuffing, mix walnuts, garlic, red chili and some salt. Make a slit in one side of each eggplant using your thumbs. Dip your index in a small plate of salt and apply it inside each eggplant. Stuff eggplants with the mixture.

Arrange eggplants in a big jar, adding salt over every single layer of arranged eggplants. Flip the jar upside-down in a colander to drain water for 24 hours.

fter one day, fill the jar with olive oil covering eggplants and keep it in a kitchen temperature. It needs from 10 to 14 to be ready.

Enjoy it on breakfast with labaneh, rocca and cup of tea!

Last edited by Tarnation (9/25/2016 11:41 am)

Life is an Orthros.

9/25/2016 10:02 am  #5

WOW, that's a lot of work and more than I want to do.  It sounds good and I'll keep my eyes for it in stores somewhere--away from York County that is.

9/25/2016 11:42 am  #6

There are Syrian-Lebanese groceries and delis in Allentown and Baltimore.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera