The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/13/2016 4:02 pm  #1

U.S. Household Income Grew 5.2% in 2015, Breaking Pattern of Stagnati

U.S. Household Income Grew 5.2% in 2015, Breaking Pattern of Stagnation

WASHINGTON — Household incomes for American families rose strongly in 2015, breaking a yearslong pattern of income stagnation. The median household’s income in 2015 was $56,516, an increase of 5.2 percent over the previous year — the largest one-year rise since at least 1967, the Census Bureau reported on Tuesday.

The income gains represent an important turning point in the recovery from the 2008 recession, showing that recent economic gains are being distributed more broadly.

“It has been a long slog from the depths of the Great Recession, but things are finally starting to improve for many American households,” said Chris G. Christopher Jr., director of consumer economics at IHS Global Insight.

The economic recovery, however, remains incomplete. The median is still 1.6 percent lower than in 2007, before the recession. It also remains 2.4 percent lower than the peak reached during the boom of the late 1990s. The number of people living in poverty also remains elevated, although it shrank last year by 3.5 million, or roughly 8 percent.

Still, most economists saw the report as remarkably positive. In an exuberant tweet, Jason Furman, chairman of the White House Council of Economic Advisers, called it “unambiguously the best” such census data “ever.” Household incomes in 2015 were higher than when President Obama entered office, and it is likely that the gains are continuing during his final year in office.

For Donald J. Trump, the Republican presidential nominee, the new data weakens a crucial talking point. He has repeatedly cited the stagnation of household income as evidence of a broader malaise.

The Census Bureau also reported that the share of Americans with health insurance continues to rise. It said that only 9.1 percent of Americans had no insurance last year.

Several states, including Pennsylvania, Indiana and Alaska, expanded their Medicaid programs last year, taking advantage of increased federal funding under the Affordable Care Act. Private sector coverage also increased as companies hired more workers and offered better benefits.

The data released on Tuesday was widely anticipated because evidence from other sources suggested it was likely to show a strong increase in household incomes last year. The median income means that half of households made more than that amount, while half made less.

The new report shows that those gains were broad-based. Incomes increased for every age group, with the strongest gains for households with adults in prime working years.

Continued
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/14/business/economy/us-census-household-income-poverty-wealth-2015.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

9/13/2016 4:34 pm  #2

Re: U.S. Household Income Grew 5.2% in 2015, Breaking Pattern of Stagnati

The stats must be "rigged" ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

9/13/2016 6:51 pm  #3

This is outstanding news. Everyone should be happy about this. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

9/15/2016 8:03 am  #4

Yes it is great news.
I'm stunned at how little attention it got as opposed to Hillary's near faint, and Trump going on Dr Oz.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

9/15/2016 1:16 pm  #5

There is still room for skepticism.  The stat has to do with 'household' income, not necessarily wages.  What I mean is that perhaps someone in the household ............. a wife, a son, daughter, or extended family member may have had to go to work, either full or part-time, to help make ends meet.  Or a full-time worker may have had to get an additional part-time job for the same reason.

All of which would show an increase in 'household' income.  I'm only suggesting the statistic may not tell the whole story.  Would I be wrong in questioning this?

Last edited by Just Fred (9/15/2016 1:17 pm)

9/16/2016 5:19 am  #6

Interesting hypothesis, Fred. Are you aware of any data that suggests that this explains the numbers?
It would have to be a pretty widespread phenomena to move the numbers so significantly.

9/16/2016 6:19 am  #7

Just Fred wrote:

There is still room for skepticism.  The stat has to do with 'household' income, not necessarily wages.  What I mean is that perhaps someone in the household ............. a wife, a son, daughter, or extended family member may have had to go to work, either full or part-time, to help make ends meet.  Or a full-time worker may have had to get an additional part-time job for the same reason.

All of which would show an increase in 'household' income.  I'm only suggesting the statistic may not tell the whole story.  Would I be wrong in questioning this?

There was another stat I saw last week that said back in 2008-09 only 2% of workers when asked if they would consider quitting their job to move to another said that they would. Today, that percentage is closer to 15%. 

Economists say because people feel much more comfortable with their prospects in the job market. 

And why do people move from one job to another? Usually, because there is an opportunity to make a higher wage.

I can tell you in my little corner of the world, I had two employees that I managed leave my company for other jobs and got some nice bumps in pay.

So I believe there is a bit of a breakout in wages and it's in line with the general improvements in the U.S. economy as a whole.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

9/16/2016 11:28 am  #8

I'm not saying the stat is good or bad.  I'm pointing out that things like wages, cost of living, and buying power of the dollar need to involved in the equation along with household income.

Board footera