The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/13/2016 7:23 pm  #1

Is AARP worth it?

For several years I've been getting solicitations from AARP.
I have been ignoring them.
It's not because I have problems with getting old.
OK, it's not entirely because I have problems with getting old.

Is the membership worth it from a financial standpoint?
If so, how?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

9/13/2016 7:35 pm  #2

Re: Is AARP worth it?

I don't think most people join AARP from a pure financial standpoint. If you look at it purely as a financial decision, there is not a powerful reason to join. As a matter of fact even if you do not join you still get the benefit of their lobbying power. That said, if enough did not support them, then their efforts for seniors would be greatly diminished. 

Last edited by tennyson (9/13/2016 7:35 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

9/14/2016 7:24 am  #3

My wife and I joined AARP several years ago. As the years have passed, we have found that the monthly bulletin, that used to have several informative articles, is now basically an advertising paper. It's full of ads for all manner of insurance companies and products that proudly proclaim that they are certified by AARP and promise specials for members. Of course, these companies have a relationship with AARP and pay a licensing premium to the organization in order to display the AARP logo on their product advertising. We also found that we received more and more advertising by mail from companies claiming a relationship with AARP. We stopped that activity by calling AARP and were directed to a portal on their website to edit what types of mailed information you receive. We declined all mailings.

Once in a while there is a good article in their monthly magazine, but the basic AARP discount on certain goods and services (10%) is not worth it from our perspective. I can get better deals searching the Internet and I can get a 10% veterans discount in the same places AARP offers. We let our membership lapse this year.

9/14/2016 9:36 am  #4

I never joined for several reasons, the main one is that I rarely ever see AARP testifying or otherwise out there rooting for the elderly like they once did.  Another reason is the gross amount they must spend printing  and mailing or otherwise getting out those infernal applications envelopes that show up everywhere--newspapers, junk mail, everywhere.  I do not believe AARP is the organization it was many years ago and I've never seen any reason to join. 

9/19/2016 12:09 am  #5

AAA gives the same or better discounts...

9/19/2016 9:11 am  #6

Thanks folks.
I can continue to toss the mailings without the fear that I'm missing out on any great thing.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

9/19/2016 9:17 am  #7

Their reason for being is to send letters to people like me telling them they're old enough to join.

Just to remind us we really are aging. 

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

9/19/2016 9:29 am  #8

Agree--been a AAA member for more years than I care to remember.

Tropicalfox wrote:

AAA gives the same or better discounts...

Board footera