The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/03/2016 9:21 am  #1

Corn soup

Chicken is in the pot, corn cut off the cobs, rivels to be made and soon it will all be everyone's favorite--chicken corn soup.  This supply will get me thru the coldest, nastiest days of winter.  Last year I waited to the last minute to buy the fresh corn and couldn't locate enough for my soup and had to supplement with frozen but not this year.

9/03/2016 9:46 am  #2

Re: Corn soup

Another possibility is to buy the freshest corn you can find (pick your own would be ideal) and as soon as possible (withing less than an hour, if you can) husk it, cut the kernels from the cob, and freeze in freezer bags.  Squeeze as much air out of the bags as you can before freezing.

If deep frozen it will keep for well over a year and be just as sweet and tasty as the day you picked it.  It will be fine for eating "just so" or for making soup.  

In my opinion soup making is better saved for a cold, raw, rainy day.

Life is an Orthros.

9/03/2016 12:24 pm  #3

Re: Corn soup

Your ideas have merit but as a hh of one I try to simplify life.  I get my corn at Eastern Market on Fridays.  The ears are small this time of year from Miller's so I received a few extra that are not needed for soup so I may dispose of them for dinner tonight.

Board footera