The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/29/2016 4:11 pm  #11

Re: Niners QB Kaepernick refuses to stand for anthem in protest

It's not about enhancing his career, or about endorsements or money.  He doesn't need money.  It's about attention.  Kaepernick, like most NFL players, are used to getting lots of attention and told how great they are from the time they are in middle school.  When that attention goes away, some of them can't handle it.  I don't think Kaepernick is genuine in the least on this.

8/29/2016 5:49 pm  #12

Well, you are  certainly free to offer uncorroborated speculation on his motives

Last edited by Goose (8/29/2016 5:51 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/29/2016 6:29 pm  #13

The Man wrote:

It's not about enhancing his career, or about endorsements or money. He doesn't need money. It's about attention. Kaepernick, like most NFL players, are used to getting lots of attention and told how great they are from the time they are in middle school. When that attention goes away, some of them can't handle it. I don't think Kaepernick is genuine in the least on this.

There are few people in America that can create a national conversation about race and police/community relationships.

Right or wrong, a NFL quarterback is one of those people. 

The easy thing for Kaepernick to do at this point in his life and career is to do nothing. He chose to do something. And no one who has ever effected social change in America, from the founding fathers, to Lincoln, to King, did so without something to lose. 

Now I am not putting Kaepernick on the level of any of those giants, but he doesn't need to make a protest. He did. You can disagree with hid method of protest, or even his message, but I think we need to elevate the conversation in the country.

Last week, the two major presidential candidates; one of whom will become leader of the free world, make speeches where they essentially called their opponents racist or bigoted.

Kaepernick silently sat while the national anthem played at a preseason football game.

I honestly don't know how we can say he's any worse.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

8/29/2016 6:38 pm  #14

TheLagerLad wrote:

The Man wrote:

It's not about enhancing his career, or about endorsements or money. He doesn't need money. It's about attention. Kaepernick, like most NFL players, are used to getting lots of attention and told how great they are from the time they are in middle school. When that attention goes away, some of them can't handle it. I don't think Kaepernick is genuine in the least on this.

There are few people in America that can create a national conversation about race and police/community relationships.

Right or wrong, a NFL quarterback is one of those people. 

The easy thing for Kaepernick to do at this point in his life and career is to do nothing. He chose to do something. And no one who has ever effected social change in America, from the founding fathers, to Lincoln, to King, did so without something to lose. 

Now I am not putting Kaepernick on the level of any of those giants, but he doesn't need to make a protest. He did. You can disagree with hid method of protest, or even his message, but I think we need to elevate the conversation in the country.

Last week, the two major presidential candidates; one of whom will become leader of the free world, make speeches where they essentially called their opponents racist or bigoted.

Kaepernick silently sat while the national anthem played at a preseason football game.

I honestly don't know how we can say he's any worse.

He's not any worse.  He's just not genuine.  This is all about "hey look at me!".  If it weren't, he would have done this when he was at the top of his game, not when he is a has-been.

8/29/2016 6:42 pm  #15

Goose wrote:

Well, you are  certainly free to offer uncorroborated speculation on his motives

And you are also entitled to your uncorroborated speculation.

8/29/2016 6:44 pm  #16

Except, I didn't speculate.
So, it's all good

Last edited by Goose (8/29/2016 6:45 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/29/2016 6:45 pm  #17

You speculated just as much as I did, if not more.

And when wasn't it all good?

Last edited by The Man (8/29/2016 6:49 pm)

8/29/2016 6:48 pm  #18

Is that English?
Perhaps you should consult a dictionary

Last edited by Goose (8/29/2016 6:49 pm)

8/29/2016 6:49 pm  #19

Goose wrote:

Is that English?

I wrote in English, but you apparently aren't reading in English.

8/29/2016 6:53 pm  #20

Hey, feel free to post whatever you want.
We welcome all views and all abilities

Board footera