The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/25/2016 9:38 am  #1

A Topic Header Dedicated to Issues Only?

As the campaigns heat up and tribes start throwing bombs back and forth, I was thinking it might be a good idea to have an "Issues Only" topic starter.  I would like to discuss an issue and not get too caught up in the Trump vs Hillary poop fest.

For example, 'minimum wage' might be a thread starter in the "Issues Only" category to kick around the pros and cons of raising the minimum wage to $15/hr.  Or maybe 'tuition free education' or any number of other new policy changes and ideas.  If everyone (and I'm talking way beyond exchange contributors) shed their team jerseys we might actually have a better understanding of eachother's positions and rationale for supporting a particular idea.  Might even be an enlightening experience for some.

Anyway, a proposal to consider.

8/25/2016 10:20 am  #2

Re: A Topic Header Dedicated to Issues Only?

Couldn't we do that easily now by just putting individual under the existing Politics topic ? 

I.E. If you want to discuss $15 minimum wage (or perhaps just generically raising the minimum wage) just put that as a topic and see where it goes. The suggestion would be to not only see what we as individuals feel, but add to it what you think the different candidates stances (if any) are on the subject. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

8/25/2016 12:05 pm  #3

I guess it could be done that way, Tenny, but I was hoping we could kick an issue around above and beyond the politics involved.  In the end, of course, the positions of each candidate and/or tribe would have to be injected into the conversation.  However, I would like the focus to be on the pros and cons of the issue itself as much as we could.

8/25/2016 12:15 pm  #4

I'm game, Fred. Although I must confess a feeling of weariness. Many times I've attempted to discuss a study, or a proposal related to climate change, only to have it come immediately off the rails and right into knee jerk partisanship.
So, let's give it a try.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/25/2016 4:49 pm  #5

"Issues Only" is now a sub forum under "Politics"

I echo Fred's request:  "No Poop-fest"!

As Sgt Friday would say on Dragnet, "Just the facts, ma'am".

Life is an Orthros.

8/26/2016 7:05 am  #6

I do not see 'shedding team jerseys' as a possibility.

There is far too much emotion involved.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

Board footera