The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2015 12:39 pm  #11

Re: Baby Wrapped in American Flag

And remember that horribly, tacky 2014 Olympic uniform for the USA?  Yes, that thing should be a crime!

3/12/2015 1:17 pm  #12

JimmyBear wrote:

While I don't believe this story is of the utmost importance -- (using the words that were from The Cuban Missile Crisis announcemens that were aired all day on most radio stations 53 years ago on that dark October day when the following announcement was given "...President Kennedy has a matter of the utmost importance to discuss with the American people tonight..", I do believe the use of the American flag in this manner is in very poor taste at the least, and at the most, disrespect for the greatest country and the many veterans who have fought to keep it that way.  What ever happened to respect and common decency?

Unfortunately I have never served in the U. S. military, but every veteran has a deep respect for the flag which represents the country they love and respect. However, one of the greatest experiences of my life was being a Boy Scout and eventually becoming an Eagle Scout. That experience taught me to respect and honor the flag as a symbol for the country that is still the greatest in the world. When I taught school I always tried to convey to my students that respect for our country as we pledged allegiance to the flag each morning - many times discussing what the pledge means and the benefits that we all enjoy from being a citizen of this great country. Not that we worship the flag but that we honor and repect the country that has given us so many blessings and freedoms and the many who sacrificed to make our country what it is.

I believe every American should follow the flag etiquette as stated above -- it is a sign of decency, and respect. We will always have those in our society who have no concept of good manners, etiquette, respect for others and their sacrifice, and politeness. I remember seeing the Hippie generation showing much more serious disrespect for our flag in the 1960's and 1970's, I remember seeing a few disrespecting the flag during the Civil Rights Movement, I remember anti-war protesters burning and tramping on the flag during the Vietnam War, and yes, even in recent times there have been examples of people deliberately disrespecting the flag as a means of protest. Old Glory has weathered all these and I believe (hopefully) will weather all the current and future mishandling and disrespect.

As a U.S. Navy veteran during the 60's & 70's, I stand by my statement that Americans spend waaaay too much time worrying about the flag.

And, as Florentine referenced, the use of the flag in many forms of advertising and promotions are far more disrespectful than this picture.

Plus the fact that many of our political figures, talking heads on TV, and other self-proclaimed "patriots" with their flag pins on their lapels, certainly do not promote a sign of decency, respect, good manners, etiquette, respect, nor politeness.

A flag is merely a flag. Nothing more, and nothing less.

But some people spend waaaay too much time worrying about who or what they believe is desecrating a symbolic deity.

Last edited by Rongone (3/12/2015 1:18 pm)

3/12/2015 1:45 pm  #13

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the American flag motif i.e. red, white and blue bunting, American flag patterned t-shirts, American flag patterned shorrts, Olympic costumes, American patterned pens and pencils, jewelry, shoes, etc. Those expressions can be interpreted as a sign of real patriotism. The real problem that some of us have is when you use an actual flag for these purposes. Some of us feel that is disrespectful -- Use all the American flag designs you wish on clothing, shoes, costumes, majorette uniforms, building decorations, pens, pencils, jewelry, etc. -- that is not a problem but some of still feel it is in poor taste to use an actual American flag for these purposes -- not because we worship the flag or spend too much time worrying about the flag but the country for which it stands. The flag etiquette rules have been set up as a standard for the proper care and display for our flag --they are not a law but a set of respectful guidelines. No one has ever been arrested for not displaying the flag properly or for not caring for it properly. Some years ago a law was going to be passed that made it a Federal Crime to burn or desecrate the American flag. I don't believe that law got final passage -- I believe because it was not considered to be a major crime and would just require too much time to enforce, etc.I agree that it should not be a Federal crime - however, I do believe people should respect the flag -- not because it is a flag but because of the country for which it stands

3/13/2015 5:47 am  #14

I pretty much agree with JimmyBears views about our flag.
When I grew up we were taught to respect our flag. That is something that is so lacking today!   Dad was a veteran of the Korean War. It was important to him that our flag was respected. When I was a kid we flew a flag and I fly one today! The flag is a strong and very visible symbol of our nation. Why is it so hard to show just a little respect? The lack of respect is epidemic in our society today!
As far as this photo I don’t see it as a terrible thing but when you start down this road it gets rocky really quick! They did X so I can do Y! Really messy very quick.

The comparison of a discussion about a white/gold or black/blue dress to a discussion about our national symbol is way off the mark in my opinion!  

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/13/2015 5:49 am  #15

Johnny Cash - Ragged Old Flag

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/13/2015 8:20 am  #16

Common Sense wrote:

When I grew up we were taught to respect our flag. That is something that is so lacking today!   Dad was a veteran of the Korean War. It was important to him that our flag was respected. When I was a kid we flew a flag and I fly one today! The flag is a strong and very visible symbol of our nation. Why is it so hard to show just a little respect? The lack of respect is epidemic in our society today!
As far as this photo I don’t see it as a terrible thing but when you start down this road it gets rocky really quick! They did X so I can do Y! Really messy very quick.

The comparison of a discussion about a white/gold or black/blue dress to a discussion about our national symbol is way off the mark in my opinion!  

Respect is a two way street, not a one way alley.

3/13/2015 9:05 am  #17

Rongone wrote:

Common Sense wrote:

???

Maybe this?  Respect [1967]

3/13/2015 11:20 am  #18

Rongone wrote:

Common Sense wrote:

You and I agree that this issue is really a non-issue, but obviously people think differently. We both appear to have similar backgrounds (serving in the 60s). I think we have both seen the good and bad and perhaps come at this with a different slant. I certainly don't have an issue with people that want to follow the guidelines. That is fine. But for the actual case in point, I actually approve of its message without any reservations. 

I for one love my country and love being here and would not trade the USA for anywhere else. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/13/2015 12:04 pm  #19

Doesn't the flag represent freedom of expression?

So you can express yourself, except where the flag is concerned?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

Board footera