The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/06/2016 8:02 am  #1

Rio Olympics opening ceremony

I wanted to put this under sports, but didn't find a representative category.

Did anyone watch the opening ceremony last night. I watched part of it. The displays were interesting, music, some dancing, and (as usual) a lot on the history and culture of the host nation. I thought the last part of the introduction prior to the parade of nations concerning global warming and it's effect on the world's resources and the rising oceans was interesting. Every nation participating in the Olympics was presented with seeds and seedlings to plant in a garden near the venue. I wonder what climate change deniers will have to about this brazen acknowledgement of the fact the Earth is getting warmer and that temperature rise will have an increasing detrimental affect on our planet.

My only other comment on the opening ceremony is: did anybody have more fun than Giselle Bundchen? Not just her walk across the floor of the stadium, but up in the crowd singing and dancing to the music. Looked to me like she was really enjoying the moment.

8/06/2016 10:11 am  #2

Re: Rio Olympics opening ceremony

Considering all the negative and questionable stuff swirling around the Rio Olympics, I thought the opening ceremony went quite well.  Of course, an actual full slate of events kick in today and I hope all goes well throughout the entire time.

8/08/2016 8:57 pm  #3

I must admit that I'm enjoying all of it.  I'm particularly impressed that matches and events aren't simply focusing on American athletes, but highlighting good performances and contests between teams and individuals for the sheer love of athletic competition.  The Netherlands vs Germany two-man beach volleyball match, for example, was really exciting.

I'm also enjoying being introduced to sports and competitors I really didn't know much about until now.

8/09/2016 6:53 am  #4

I am enjoying the Olympic competition. It's a welcome respite from the daily melee of our presidential political Granfalloon.

While I'm still not in favor of the competitions that require judges to determine the winners, it's fun watching these athletes performing and striving to do their best. Even if their personal best doesn't get them any further than 5th place in their preliminary heat. It's the competition that matters.

There are some that I still don't understand everything . . . Like fencing, rugby, or judo. But still it's the competitive nature of the participants. I really enjoy the swimming as both of my daughters were competitive swimmers and am looking forward to track & field next week. I also enjoy the volleyball and soccer competition.

Again, it's the competitors that make it for me, even if they don't win. One of my favorites this past week was U.S. Cyclist Mara Abbott who was leading the women's road race after the final climb and the crash of a competitor on the descent. She was on her own pedaling the last 9 miles on her own trying to maintain her 35 second lead to the finish. A chase group of three riders caught up to her and passed her within about 100 yards to the finish line and she finished fourth. It would seem to have been a heartbreaking loss, but I saw her interviewed after the race and she was uplifting in her comments. I loved it.

8/09/2016 7:04 am  #5

Have to agree that the Olympics (as always) is wonderful to watch. I am trying NOT to stay glued, day in and day out but it is hard not to. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera