The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/07/2016 6:54 am  #1

Make Cheese?

Anybody ever try this?

FRESH RICOTTA

When creative director Richard Ferretti came to Gourmet two and a half years ago, he brought along a recipe for homemade fresh ricotta. It is more delicate in flavor than any store-bought version and has a lovely dry curd. Some of us make it at home often because it takes just a few minutes of active time. Topped with honey and cinnamon, it's also great for dessert.

INGREDIENTS

2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or distilled white vinegar

PREPARATION

Bring milk, cream, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Add lemon juice; stir gently until mixture starts to curdle. Let stand 5 minutes.
Pour mixture into a fine-mesh sieve lined with 2 layers of cheesecloth set over a medium bowl. Chill until cheese is spreadable, at least 20 minutes and up to 12 hours (the longer it strains, the thicker it will be).
Cover and chill cheese up to 3 days.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/fresh-ricotta-51232050?mbid=social_facebook

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/07/2016 9:20 am  #2

Re: Make Cheese?

I love this recipe because it has only 1/2 tsp. of salt, requires readily available ingredients and takes little effort to make.  Now, if we could figure out a way to keep it longer than three days.

7/07/2016 4:36 pm  #3

flowergirl wrote:

I   Now, if we could figure out a way to keep it longer than three days.

Bake it in a lasagna?

Life is an Orthros.

7/07/2016 4:40 pm  #4

Excellent idea!

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/08/2016 6:40 am  #5

If you want to make cheese and happen to see a home brew store, stop in. A lot of home brewers also like to make their own cheese and you can find kits to make many different types, from Swiss to Cheddar to fresh mozzarella. 

I've never made my own cheese, but from what I understand it is fairly simple. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

7/08/2016 7:31 am  #6

I've never made my own cheese either.
But, I'm going to give this a try.

Board footera