The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2015 7:39 am  #1

U.S. tourists arrested for carving initials at Rome's Colosseum

And the fine WON'T be cheap(nor should it).  A recently similar event cost the perp over $20,000 ! 

The Colosseum is a marvel. Standing inside makes one shiver thinking of the history of the venue (as do many such historic sites). 

I WILL say, however, that Rome is filled with graffitti. Other than the beauty of many of its historic sites (many of them also with signs of graffitti), it left us very disappointed in the overall city when we visited it a number of years ago. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/09/2015 8:28 am  #2

Re: U.S. tourists arrested for carving initials at Rome's Colosseum

Of course. They just had to be American didn't they? What idiots.Tennyson, I think you just unknowingly suggested a punishment more fitting to the crime - they should have to stay in Rome and clean off graffitti. Nothing like spending every waking moment cleaning up graffitti in a foreign city to make you never want to have anything to do with it again.

Or, better yet, maybe they should have to get whatever they carved into the Colosseum tatooed on their forehead, so anytime someone asks what it means, they'll have to explain the whole thing over and over again.

In the interest of disclosure, I have "tagged" my name before, but it was on the wall of a little out-of-the way bar in Bermuda and it was their 'thing'. It was pretty cool, every available square inch was covered. There were names going back to the beginning of it's existence from all over the world, and there were thousands! 

Last edited by BYOB (3/09/2015 9:38 am)

3/09/2015 6:26 pm  #3

Re: U.S. tourists arrested for carving initials at Rome's Colosseum

Behavior like that embarrasses me.

Board footera