The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/29/2016 8:40 am  #1

Big Elm

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30416/119204/

American Lager

Brewed by: 
Big Elm Brewing 
Massachusetts, United States   

Style: American Adjunct Lager 

Alcohol by volume (ABV): 5.00% 

Availability: Rotating 

Notes / Commercial Description: 

American Lager - Brewed with American corn, barley, hops, water and a super clean American Lager yeast, this beer is the definition of easy drinking. The use of corn is a classic American technique that helps give this beer a light sweetness and harkens back to simple days.

Beer Advocate Rating 3.89/5

Fat Boy Double IPA

4/5  
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

16oz can poured into a snifter.

A: Golden colored with great clarity. Creamy white head retains at half an inch. Spotty lacing.

S: Mango, sugared grapefruit, candied orange peel, lemon head candy. Hints of pine and spicy/earthy notes. Orange gummy wedges. Honey and toast malt base. Slight whiff of alcohol.

T: Earthy and resinous hop flavors clamp down hard. Oily. Bitter ruby red grapefruit in a big way. Spicy. Fleeting tangerine and mango notes. Malt base is necessarily ample to counter the hop onslaught. Toast and drizzles of honey. Flashes of juicy tropical fruits. Alcohols sneak in toward the back with a faint menthol impression. Bitter hop oils on the finish.

M: Full and thick. Chewy. Round and silky. Stiff, prickling carbonation. Oily and astringent.

O: The aggressive and bitter hop onslaught shocks the palate at first, but once it recovers there are some great tropical nuances to be enjoyed. Ample malt body grounds the hops and brings bitterness into balance, smoothing things over just enough to keep it drinkable. It's a pretty classic double IPA that challenges the palate in the best way.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

6/01/2016 10:14 am  #2

Re: Big Elm

Wow! I just looked at the Big Elm Brewery website and read that the founders met at Victory Brewing in 2003. If they are alums of Victory, I guarantee they make really good beers.

Hope they end up distributing their brews down in the Philly area.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

6/01/2016 10:20 am  #3

Re: Big Elm

TheLagerLad wrote:

Wow! I just looked at the Big Elm Brewery website and read that the founders met at Victory Brewing in 2003. If they are alums of Victory, I guarantee they make really good beers.

Hope they end up distributing their brews down in the Philly area.

They make beers that I would describe as pretty darn good, rather than really good.
And, that's OK. The competition is tough out there, and I like to think that they are getting better all the time.

I like Big Elm because they are local, and because they seem to have a love for this that makes Big Elm a work in progress, hopefully headed for great things.

Last edited by Goose (6/01/2016 10:22 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera