The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2016 6:55 am  #1

New Mexico Tamales

New Mexico Tamales Recipe: New Mexico TamalesSummary: New Mexico Tamale Recipe, a Family Favorite! Ingredients 

• 4 lb Pork shoulder
  • 6 c Water
  • 6 tb To 8 chile powder
  • 1/8 ts Oregano (optional)
  • 1/4 ts Cumin (optional)
  • 2 cl Garlic, chopped fine
  • —-MASA FOR TAMALES—-
  • 5 lb Masa corn meal flour
  • 1 lb Lard
  • Pork broth from above
  • 48 Corn husks(dried
  • )

Instructions
[list=1]
  • Tamales: Boil meat in water until tender.
  • Remove meat from broth, saving broth for making dough and chile.
  • Chop meat in 1/4 inch pieces and place in pan.
  • Disolve chile powder in 1 1/2 cups of the meat broth, add to the meat, add garlic, spices and salt, and cook until almost dry.
  • Set aside, while preparing dough (masa). Masa for Tamales: Cream lard in a medium size mixing bowl, using a mixer at medium speed.
  • Add flour and mix. Add enough of the meat broth to make dough spreadable with a table knife.
  • Assembling the Tamales:
  • Rinse corn husks and soak in warm water until pliable.
  • Spread the center portion of each husk with 2 tb of the masa mixture. Top with the chile meat filling.
  • Varied amounts of either the masa or three filling may be used (some like them thin, some like more of the filling).
  • Fold the sides of the husks toward the center, the bottom of the husk up the top down.
  • Tie each tamale top and bottom with a narrow corn husk strip.
  • Pour 2 inches of water in a large kettle and arrange the tamales on a rack above water level.
  • Steam tamales for about 40 minutes.

•  “We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

5/24/2016 12:00 pm  #2

Re: New Mexico Tamales

Before I'd tackle all that I'll find a Trader Joe's--they are excellent.

5/24/2016 2:51 pm  #3

I love tamales.
    But, I find working with the masa a bit frustrating.
    A few years ago I came across fresh corn tamale recipe that uses pureed corn kernels and corn meal for the Dough.
    Nice and light for the summer.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/25/2016 7:38 pm  #4

I use a similar method for carnitas, but I add a bottle of dark beer too... plus I don't use chili powder because I find it overwhelms the seasonings, but I do add the cumin plus coriander and bay leaves, and a can of chopped green chilies....

Board footera