The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2016 7:26 am  #1

Terrorist -This start-up says it can out secrets by analyzing faces

Sounds like some science fiction story. So the computer says your are a terrorist? Do the police come and arrest you? Of course the Federal government is going to spend money on this.

Terrorist or pedophile? This start-up says it can out secrets by analyzing faces

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp/2016/05/24/terrorist-or-pedophile-this-start-up-says-it-can-out-secrets-by-analyzing-faces/

An Israeli start-up says it can take one look at a person’s face and realize character traits that are undetectable to the human eye.Faception said it’s already signed a contract with a homeland security agency to help identify terrorists. The company said its technology also can be used to identify everything from great poker players to extroverts, pedophiles, geniuses and white collar-criminals.“We understand the human much better than other humans understand each other,” said Faception chief executive Shai Gilboa.

“Our personality is determined by our DNA and reflected in our face. It’s a kind of signal.”Faception has built 15 different classifiers, which Gilboa said evaluate with 80 percent accuracy certain traits. The start-up is pushing forward, seeing tremendous power in a machine’s ability to analyze images.Yet experts caution there are ethical questions and profound limits to the effectiveness of technology such as this.“Can I predict that you’re an ax murderer by looking at your face and therefore should I arrest you?” said Pedro Domingos, a professor of computer science at the University of Washington and author of “The Master Algorithm.” “You can see how this would be controversial.”Gilboa said he also serves as the company’s chief ethics officer and will never make his classifiers that predict negative traits available to the general public.

The danger lies in the computer system’s imperfections. Because of that, Gilboa envisions governments considering his findings along with other sources to better identify terrorists. Even so, the use of the data is troubling to some.“The evidence that there is accuracy in these judgments is extremely weak,” said Alexander Todorov, a Princeton psychology professor whose research includes facial perception. “Just when we thought that physiognomy ended 100 years ago. Oh, well.” Innovations newsletterCutting-edge developments in tech and elsewhere.  Faception recently showed off its technology at a poker tournament organized by a start-up that shares investors with Faception. Gilboa said that Faception predicted before the tournament that four players out of the 50 amateurs would be the best.

When the dust settled two of those four were among the event’s three finalists. To make its prediction Faception analyzed photos of the 50 players against a Faception database of professional poker players.There are challenges in trying to use artificial intelligence systems to draw conclusions such as this. A computer that is trained to analyze images will only be as good as the examples it is trained on. If the computer is exposed to a narrow or outdated sample of data, its conclusions will be skewed. Additionally, there’s the risk the system will make an accurate prediction, but not necessarily for the right reasons.Domingos, the University of Washington professor, shared the example of a colleague who trained a computer system to tell the difference between dogs and wolves.

Tests proved the system was almost 100 percent accurate. But it turned out the computer was successful because it learned to look for snow in the background of the photos. All of the wolf photos were taken in the snow, whereas the dog pictures weren’t. Also, an artificial intelligence system might zero in on a trait that could be changed by a person — such as the presence of a beard — limiting its ability to make an accurate prediction.“If somebody came to me and said ‘I have a company that’s going to try to do this,’ my answer to them would be ‘nah, go do something more promising,’ ” Domingos said. “But on the other hand, machine learning brings us lots of surprises every day.”

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

5/24/2016 7:37 am  #2

Re: Terrorist -This start-up says it can out secrets by analyzing faces

It will be interesting to find out just how well it actually does in helping (or hurting). It does have some scary implications. 

I might note that people tend to do the same thing quite a bit on their own (ie- using visual clues to help figure out another person). So there is SOME relationship to what we as humans wind up doing somewhat naturally. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/24/2016 8:20 am  #3

I can just see the government using this to "label" certain people as XXXXXX.
Of course it would be secret. There would be no way for an innocent person
to counter the false charge.

I agree we do use visual clues in everyday life but that is completely different than the government using a computer system/program to label people as.......................

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

5/24/2016 12:30 pm  #4

It is loosely based on a late 19th century "science" called "phrenology" which held that one could determines all sorts of maladies by examining the lumps and bumps of one's head.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera