The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2015 5:57 am  #1

Selma

[size=100]Outstanding. The most powerful movie that I've seen in a year. You cannot imagine the courage that it took to claim the right to vote in the south. Go see it.

There is a buzz out there that the movie unfairly portrays President Johnson as being hostile to King and the civil rights movement. I honestly did not get that. LBJ and MLK do come into conflict and argue repeatly about the strategy. MLK as the civil rights leader is single minded in his pursuit of the voting rights act. As a black man, he is also, understandably, in a hurry.

LBJ, on the other hand, is the President of the United States, and has a million needs tugging at his sleeve. Also, as a politician, LBJ is cautious, and well aware of the political costs of doing things. So, LBJ wants to go slow, and MLK will have none of it.

In the end, of course, LBJ does not let us down.
[/size]

Last edited by Goose (1/30/2015 6:06 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/02/2015 8:10 am  #2

Re: Selma

I will eventually see Selma. I have always admired Congressman Lewis for what he went through back then. In my opinion, he's probably the 1 member of Congress that literally had to put his life on the line against his fellow countrymen so that his other fellow countrymen could have basic freedoms that we all have a right to.
I am actually hesitant to see it, as I get very upset seeing such injustices happen to good people. I know it happened in the past, and I know it turns out o.k. in the end, but it still puts my 'injustice meter' through the wringer.

Board footera