The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/06/2016 8:09 am  #1

Catching a Flight? Budget Hours, Not Minutes, for Security

Maybe an agency more hated than the IRS? Incompetent management at all levels and it's showing at airports across the country. The TSA at BWI..... It's beyond incompetent. There are some bright spots for TSA. Phoenix Sky Harbor very professional, plenty of officer's to keep the lines moving.

Catching a Flight? Budget Hours, Not Minutes, for Security

Read the full story here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/03/business/airport-security-lines.html

Security lines at airports are getting longer — much longer — and wait times could reach epidemic levels when air travel peaks this summer, according to airlines, airports and federal officials.A combination of fewer Transportation Security Administration screeners, tighter budgets, new checkpoint procedures and growing numbers of passengers is already creating a mess at airports around the country.

While federal security officials say they are hiring and training hundreds of additional screening officers, matters are not expected to improve anytime soon.Airline and airport officials have said they fear that the current slowdown will last through the year, and could cause a summer travel meltdown when more than 220 million passengers are expected to fly during the peak travel months of July and August.“This is going to be a rough summer; there is no doubt about it,” said Gary Rasicot, who was recently appointed to a newly created position as the T.S.A.’s chief of operations. “We are probably not at the staffing level we would like to be to address the volume.

This is why we are talking about people getting to the airport a little earlier than planned.”To deal with the expected crowds, Mr. Rasicot said the agency planned to assign 768 new officers to the busiest airports by June 15. The agency is also allocating an extra $26 million for overtime pay, and is looking for ways to move its explosive-sniffing dogs where they will have the most effect on reducing wait times.

Already, passengers have reported epic lines.
the @TSA line at T3 @fly2ohare for @AmericanAir outside of the roped off lines. EVERYONE will miss their flight pic.twitter.com/AFAQ7amMdw— Stephanie Pratt (@ursalee) March 18, 2016

Travelers have seen lines stretching to the curb, snaking to other terminal levels or even extending into different concourses.
FYI, if you're headed to @PHLAirport, the security line in the @AmericanAir terminal starts near the parking garage pic.twitter.com/M6NDw74NAB— kendrabaisinger (@kendrabaisinger) April 22, 2016

Some have managed to handle the situation with humor.
Been in #line with these people at #denverairport #TSA that I expect to see them at my #birthday this year.— Josh Brosz (@hotwiq) April 23, 2016

Others have not been quite as forgiving.
Denver @tsa is always horrendous... pic.twitter.com/V1jEcNC0Ak— The Real Eon Lemon (@Eonlemon) April 20, 2016

At Charlotte Douglas International Airport in North Carolina, about 600 passengers missed their flights on March 25 because an inadequate number of screeners led to waits exceeding three hours, airport officials said. Brent D. Cagle, the airport’s interim director of aviation, complained to the T.S.A., calling the episode a “fiasco.”“This situation could have been avoided, had the T.S.A. had the proper staffing (or overtime budget necessary) to meet customer demand,” Mr. Cagle wrote in a letter to the security agency. (T.S.A. officials denied that the wait had ever been that long, telling local reporters that it had been 75 minutes for a short time.)

TSA checkpoints backed up at Charlotte airport during Spring Break - WSOC Charlotte https://t.co/g8wIsUar3u— CharlotteForDotMe (@CharlotteForMe) March 25, 2016

This was far from an isolated incident. Airports in Atlanta, Miami, New York, Seattle, Denver and Chicago, among others, have all experienced similar problems in recent months.Last month, Denver Airport advised travelers to get to the airport as much as three hours before their flights. Still, people waited for more than an hour and a half to clear security.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

5/06/2016 8:24 am  #2

Re: Catching a Flight? Budget Hours, Not Minutes, for Security

I dunno. I flew out of JFK on an international flight last month, and it really wasn't bad.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/06/2016 10:31 am  #3

In our recent trip to St. Maarten we flew out of BWI through Charlotte to SXM and the reverse on our return trip. We always allow 2 hours prior to flight bordering for our airport arrival. We had no problems on this trip with a 1 hour layover in Charlotte going down and 3 hour layover coming back. We knew coming back that we would have to clear customs, claim and re-check our bags, plus go through passport control in Charlotte on our return trip so we were comfortable with the layover. Everything went fine although the cabin crew informed us that a British Airways flight landed in Charlotte right after we did and we would be wise to go straight to passport control and baggage claim before the BA flight because things would really big down.

The only airport we really were bogged down at was at Bush in Houston on a trip to Cozumel. Even with a three hour layover at Houston, we barely made the connection. TSA and customs were terribly understaffed. Plus, they could have put some of the people who spent their time yelling at travelers about getting in line, taking off their shoes, having their passports out etc. to work checking bags etc., it might have gone quicker. After that experience we went through the procedure to ensure we are TSA Prechecked (that gets printed on your boarding pass) and that allows us to enter a shorter line, you don't have to take off shoes, or belt, and you can leave your iPad in your carry on.

I believe the TSA is basically grand window dressing. Their record in failing tests for recognizing guns, explosives, and the like tends to bear out that feeling.

5/06/2016 11:28 am  #4

I want to follow-up with Rongone's comment about the TSA being "window dressing".  That is so true.

TSA Fails 95 Percent Of Airport Security Tests Conducted By Homeland Security: Reporthttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/01/tsa-fails-95-percent-tests-homeland-security_n_7485558.html

I-Team: TSA security fails most checkpoint testshttp://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local-news/i-team-investigates/tsa-security-screeners-fail-to-catch-weapons-in-test

Last edited by Common Sense (5/06/2016 11:28 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

5/09/2016 12:55 pm  #5

The administrators of Philadelphia International sent out an announcement last week that the TSA told them to expect major security delays this summer at PHL. 

I wouldn't mind the security theater so much if every now and then they actually found a serious threat.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

5/13/2016 9:24 am  #6

Published on May 12, 2016

Security line at Chicago Midway right now!    WTF

Last edited by Common Sense (5/13/2016 9:25 am)

5/13/2016 11:29 am  #7

Phoenix Airport Screening 'Operational' After Glitch Leaves 3,000 Bags Stuck

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/travel/phoenix-airport-screening-operational-after-glitch-leaves-3-000-bags-n573411

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/13/2016 12:25 pm  #8

Common Sense wrote:

Published on May 12, 2016

Security line at Chicago Midway right now!    WTF

I literally would end up murdering someone if I had to stand in that line. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

5/23/2016 12:17 pm  #9

Not a scientific survey, but I will share a recent experience.
I flew from Albany to Reagan National, and back, this weekend. No problems at either airport.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera