The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2016 7:44 am  #1

AN OPEN LETTER TO WILL FERRELL

A comedy about Alzheimer's? I hope some adult will stop this now! This illness is so vile. It strips a person of the very thing that makes them a person. It surely is not funny.

AN OPEN LETTER TO WILL FERRELL

http://booksbypattidavis.com/an-open-letter-to-will-ferrell/#more-1732

Dear Mr. Ferrell,I saw the news bulletin — as did everyone — that you intend to portray my father in the throes of Alzheimer’s for a comedy that you are also producing. Perhaps you have managed to retain some ignorance about Alzheimer’s and other versions of dementia. Perhaps if you knew more, you would not find the subject humorous.

Alzheimer’s doesn’t care if you are President of the United States or a dockworker. It steals what is most precious to a human being — memories, connections, the familiar landmarks of a lifetime that we all come to rely on to hold our place secure in this world and keep us linked to those we have come to know and love. I watched as fear invaded my father’s eyes — this man who was never afraid of anything. I heard his voice tremble as he stood in the living room and said, “I don’t know where I am.” I watched helplessly as he reached for memories, for words, that were suddenly out of reach and moving farther away. For ten long years he drifted — past the memories that marked his life, past all that was familiar…and mercifully, finally past the fear.

There was laughter in those years, but there was never humor.Alzheimer’s is the ultimate pirate, pillaging a person’s life and leaving an empty landscape behind. It sweeps up entire families, forcing everyone to claw their way through overwhelming grief, confusion, helplessness, and anger. Perhaps for your comedy you would like to visit some dementia facilities. I have — I didn’t find anything comedic there, and my hope would be that if you’re a decent human being, you wouldn’t either.

Twice a week I run a support group called Beyond Alzheimer’s for caregivers and family members of those with Alzheimer’s and dementia. I look into haunted eyes that remind me of my own when my father was ill. I listen to stories of helplessness and loss and am continually moved by the bravery of those who wake up every morning not knowing who their loved one will be that day, or what will be lost. The only certainty with Alzheimer’s is that more will be lost and the disease will always win in the end.Perhaps you would like to explain to them how this disease is suitable material for a comedy.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

4/29/2016 1:15 pm  #2

Re: AN OPEN LETTER TO WILL FERRELL

Latest reports have Ferrell pulling out of the project.
Thank goodness. My father sometimes tries to take the edge off of his own dementia by making a joke. But there is one thing I am sure of: There is not one thing even remotely funny about having a loved one sink into dementia.
I like Will Ferrel, but I have to ask him, what on earth were you thinking?

Last edited by Goose (4/29/2016 1:17 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/29/2016 1:46 pm  #3

No comment.  If you've ever had the experience of standing by a loved one dying from Alzheimer's, it's so very, very sad.  My mom died of the disease in 2012, but I 'lost' her in 2010.  Anyone who has been through it knows what I mean.

Sometimes I wonder if we were biologically designed to live so long.

5/11/2016 1:58 am  #4

I'm behind the times, but I actually took a bit of a curiosity stand on the topic. I think it's for the best that the project didn't happen, though.

I do try to find the humor in the situation, but I'm in a stage with my mother that she makes it easy to do so. She's a bubbly personality by nature, so her disease manifests in some pretty ridiculously hilarious conversations between the two of us. I tend to share on Facebook as a way to keep myself from going bonkers.

Maybe it's a bit of a social experiment on my part. I find that people respond to me when I share the light-hearted parts. They are fast to turn away when the going gets tough, though. Laugh or cry, they're the only options. I guess I'll keep trying to pick the laughing as long as I can.

5/14/2016 4:40 pm  #5

having a parent who suffers from dementia, doesn't have a milligram of "funny" in it... there is never a normal day, you don't know what will happen if you have to leave the house and they refuse to go with you... there are only so many times you can reschedule appointments for your own health care... you can't sleep because you hear them go into the kitchen and you have to see what they're doing in order to avoid having them burn the house down... short of locking them in their room, you can't control their movements... I grieve for the mom I used to have, and grieve for the moments we will never have again... she is in there somewhere, her body is still strong at 91 years old, but I don't "see" her anymore... 

5/15/2016 12:06 pm  #6

Sending you love and best wishes.
I'm going through the same thing with my dad. It is indeed a long and sad goodbye

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/18/2016 1:44 pm  #7

Foxy is a warrior. Whenever I start feeling down, I look at her and what she and her mother are going through, take a deep breath and keep on plugging away because she's still standing. She's my dementia spirit animal sometimes.

5/18/2016 8:14 pm  #8

Thank you darling... and thank you Goose!!!! 

Board footera